Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best loads for a 40 cal braced glock 22.

I have a G22 and a folding brace I got from SI. I soon plan to mount a holosun on it with a SI adaptor.

I have chosen it because it is the most compact shoulder braced weapon I have found so far.

I hope both I and the pistol can be effective on torso size targets to 100 yards & Head shots at 50 yards and I will soon find out if that is possible with it.
    I have checked and for the moment .40 cal that is in stock is running a dollar a round, but I have reloading components; it was my intention to reload for it anyway.
    I may also get an after market barrel in .357 sig chambering if I can find one that is extended.

So does anyone have any advice for 40 cal loads out of a glock at such ranges?

I did a little looking and I see the 135 bullet seems to be a good wt for the 40 S&W. Even in the case cited below have a slightly better BC than the 115 9mm bullet.
    I see the pistol length barrels used and loads between the 40 and 9x19 were not exactly comparable. With 9x19 +P+ in barrels of the same length likely the 40 and 9 would have more similar trajectories at 100 yards.
    I have some generic federal 40 and I see a case of some tulammo that I forget I had. I have empty cases and so only need to get some 135 grainers for reloading

Below is a ballistic chart comparing 9 to 40 trajectories. If the 40 with a high mounted Holosun is sighted say at 50 yards to hit a few inches higher then the required hold over for 100 yards is not so much.

Screenshot_2020-08-18 9mm Trajectory Chart vs 40 S W Trajectory Chart.jpg

https://www.mcarbo.com/9mm-trajector...ory-chart.aspx

I can’t help you with 40 loads but can recommend KKM Precision for extended 357 Sig barrels. You might have to call them and ask for exactly what you want. I wanted a threaded 6” 357 barrel, it’s not something they carry in the store but they were happy to do it for me. Their blanks are 6” and they cut them down as necessary.

The threads are for a comp, I wouldn’t recommend a suppressor for a 357 Glock.

Sometime back, Gabe and I discussed the idea of a long barrel 40, using heavy, hard cast loads. This is more for 4 legged predators but a heavy hitting 40 PDW is an interesting idea. Underwood has some good loads to pick from.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I can’t help you with 40 loads but can recommend KKM Precision for extended 357 Sig barrels. You might have to call them and ask for exactly what you want. I wanted a threaded 6” 357 barrel, it’s not something they carry in the store but they were happy to do it for me. Their blanks are 6” and they cut them down as necessary.

The threads are for a comp, I wouldn’t recommend a suppressor for a 357 Glock.

Sometime back, Gabe and I discussed the idea of a long barrel 40, using heavy, hard cast loads. This is more for 4 legged predators but a heavy hitting 40 PDW is an interesting idea. Underwood has some good loads to pick from.

Yes A google search turned up an an old discussion of the underwood loads of 135 grain bullets at like 1400 fps or more. Seems really hot for sure. The whole point of velocity is to be able have a better trajectory.
    When the red dot shows up I will try the ammo of 180 gr loads that I have on hand to see if the rig is practical for me. I was buying an AR15 lower for a 6.5g upper and the dealer had a G22 used, but like new in the box and so I purchased it too.

I found a source of nosler 135 gr bullets for reloading at Midway and those just shipped and on are on the way. I have some long promags that I think I purchased at SI for it while ago.

An elongated .357 sig or 40 barrel with cut rifling and compensator do have a lot going for them. The glock barrel leaves less of a signature on the bullets, but the cases along with DNA are quite matchable.
    If I do not like the rig, in this climate I certainly can sell it.

This concept of packing a highly portable braced pistol is starting to become more attractive to me. Especially if it will fit into a small nondescript carry bag.
    I do have 4-legged critters about too such as black bear and feral hogs also, and so that is also a possible consideration.

As much as I would always like a rifle at hand, it’s just not realistic. We can do things that make a rifle more available, more often, but it’s still only upping the percentage.

We can’t have a PDW at hand always either. But we can have it more often than we can a rifle. They are still only pistol rounds but the right barrel, caliber, and load can certainly improve performance.

I still keep a rifle at hand when I can. When I cannot, the PDW will serve.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

underwood 40 135 grain specs
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...18785725644857
    40 S&W 135 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Brand: Underwood Ammo
    SKU: 220
    Technical Information

• Caliber: 40 S&W
    • Bullet Weight: 135 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass

Ballistics Information

• Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 588 ft lbs

Item out of stock - notify me!

Pretty sure you're not going to get 12" of penetration with those Noslers. That's the bullet used in the old Corbon loading and I remember seeing tests showing well under 12" inches. That may be fine for your needs but, FYI.
    Proud dog faced pony soldier... Whatever that is
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post
    Pretty sure you're not going to get 12" of penetration with those Noslers. That's the bullet used in the old Corbon loading and I remember seeing tests showing well under 12" inches. That may be fine for your needs but, FYI.
    For 10 mm
    For a velocity of 1,568 from a 10 mm, the penetration was almost 8 inches. I have not yet found anything for lower velocities that one would get from a 40. Suggests that the bullet still preform at longer ranges after it has slowed.

10mm nosler 135 g.jpg

135 gr is not the way to go IMHO. I carried a G23 for a while and everything I looked at showed 165 gr was the best compromise. When I reloaded for it I was using a 165 JHP from Montana Gold and they were crazy accurate.

I wound buy a box of several promising bulletts and load up 50 of each and see what shot most accurately and fed and go with that.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Might be a useful resource.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html
    Proud dog faced pony soldier... Whatever that is
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"