Default Heirloom Combat Pistols

My father-in-law died recently at 98 and left me his combat pistol. It has quite a history and I am going to keep it and pass it along. It is a S&W 38. He graduated college with a masters in Chemical Engineering in 1942 and was exempted from fighting in the war to work in a synthetic rubber project. He chaffed at not doing his part, sought and got an exemption. He then joined the Marines, went to officer's school and in January of 1945 found himself in a ship with the 5th Division headed to Iwo Jima. While on the ship he traded 3 packs of smokes for the revolver. He was one of the first on the beach and one of the last off when the Marines handed the island over to the Army. As he told me a number of times they were supposed to take the island in 3 days, it took considerably longer. He went ashore with a carbine, a 1911 and the S&W. His theory was the more weapons you have the better. Turned out to be true as his 1911 became inoperative when it was shot out of his hands and so this pistol was his sidearm. He was never bitter about the Japanese and thought they were incredibly tough. Told me he had never seen one and had never heard of one surrendering. At the end they had run out of food, water and ammo and he said they kept fighting. The pistol is in very good shape (he was a Marine and took care of his weapons). I am going off this week to a memorial for him. What a great generation! Jack

That pistol is definitely a keeper!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Heirloom is right!

If you're so inclined, pics.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

361. And a wakeup.

I have similar heirlooms to pass on to my sons when I make the big move to Toe Tag City. One is my dad's .38 Colt revolver, another is a mentor's .45 1911, and two vintage carry-customised BHPs of mine. My sons have already staked their claims.

Pics please! What a great piece of family history to pass down. Both the revolver and the stories.

All I got was Grandpa's Sears & Roebuck single action .22 revolver he kept in the toolbox in his log truck.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Yes I too would love to see some pics. That's quite an heirloom, I wish I had such a thing..my mother didn't like guns so my Dad never had any.

Get the information/stories typed up with as much input from the family as possible! In 20-30 years most of the things not in the paper will be fuzzy or forgotten!

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Is it the old break barrel type? I would get the damn thing engraved and carry that shit...
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Since he got it aboard a US Navy ship it was probably a S&W Victory M&P - essentially a 4 or 2 inch Model 10 with parkerizing, lanyard ring, etc.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
    Get the information/stories typed up with as much input from the family as possible! In 20-30 years most of the things not in the paper will be fuzzy or forgotten!

SD

I was thinking the same thing!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!