Default Death toll rises to 21 after attack on Mexican town

Are the cartels to be considered as terrorist organizations?
    I guess mexico (Sarcasm) needs universal background checks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-mexican-town
    Security forces have shot dead seven more suspected cartel gunmen after a weekend attack on a northern Mexican town, according to authorities, bringing the death toll to 21 and adding fuel to a debate about whether the gangs should be deemed terrorists.
    The government of Coahuila state said 10 gunmen and four police were killed in shootouts on Saturday in Villa Unión, days after Donald Trump fanned bilateral tensions by saying he would designate cartels as terrorists.The gunmen peppered the Villa Unión’s mayor’s office with bullets and state police pursued the gang members after they fled the town, killing seven more in the early hours of Sunday, the Coahuila government said in a statement.The events in Villa Union add to a series of recent security lapses that have raised doubts about the containment strategy of the Mexican president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who took office a year ago pledging to get a grip on chronic gang violence.López Obrador said on Friday he would not accept any foreign intervention in Mexico to deal with violent criminal gangs in response to Trump’s comments.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Saw pictures from this. It looked like one of the cartel trucks had cartel markings on it, similar to what a police truck would have. Except...literally had the name of the cartel on the side. Another one looked like it had a machine gun mount in the bed. Both had Texas plates.

Cartels seem to be able to act with impunity there, and there certainly isn't any easy or even difficult solution that would likely be able to stop them.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Saw pictures from this. It looked like one of the cartel trucks had cartel markings on it, similar to what a police truck would have. Except...literally had the name of the cartel on the side. Another one looked like it had a machine gun mount in the bed. Both had Texas plates.

Cartels seem to be able to act with impunity there, and there certainly isn't any easy or even difficult solution that would likely be able to stop them.
    If the mexican government and especially the armed forces and police forces were not so corrupt, it would not be hard at all. Gun them down, but with corruption that is not happening.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    If the mexican government and especially the armed forces and police forces were not so corrupt, it would not be hard at all. Gun them down, but with corruption that is not happening.
    "Not being so corrupt" isn't any sort of realistic solution. Cartels put people loyal to them in power, and murder or intimidate anyone who tries to clean things up.

"Ignore this thing, or we'll murder your entire family" tends to be the easier solution for most people.

I don't see any realistic solutions stopping the cartels in Mexico, short of a sudden lack of demand for drugs around the world, coupled with something bordering on genocide.

Which sucks, because I've had a good time in Mexico and met so many great people there, who I'm sure want the cartels gone and just want to lead normal lives.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    "Not being so corrupt" isn't any sort of realistic solution. Cartels put people loyal to them in power, and murder or intimidate anyone who tries to clean things up.

"Ignore this thing, or we'll murder your entire family" tends to be the easier solution for most people.

I don't see any realistic solutions stopping the cartels in Mexico, short of a sudden lack of demand for drugs around the world, coupled with something bordering on genocide.

Which sucks, because I've had a good time in Mexico and met so many great people there, who I'm sure want the cartels gone and just want to lead normal lives.
    What i said was that:
    but with corruption that is not happening
    To defeat what they have going on there would require mass executions and no quarter given. Remember when the Mexicans played
    The Degüello (Spanish: El toque a degüello) is a bugle call, notable in the US for its use as a march by Mexican Army buglers during the 1836 Siege and Battle of the Alamo to signal that the defenders of the garrison would receive no quarter by the attacking Mexican Army under General Antonio López de Santa Anna.
    The Degüello , or throat cutting comes from wars the between the Castillians and Muslims. It worked real well for the Spanish catholic forces in driving the moors out of Iberia. The old time Christian morality is that 'God will know his own' when attacking the enemy or Kill them all and let GOD sort them out.
    But that is not happening.

My POV.

Mexico is Mexico...just like Colombia is Colombia and Honduras is Honduras. The American desire to think every place should be like the USA (or turn every place on earth into the USA by force) is silly, doomed to failure, and a waste of time and resources. The only way you will change Mexico...or Iraq for that matter, is to change the entire culture by going back in time and giving them the same foundations that USA had.

Why LATAM is the way it is is a strange and complicated question. I have traveled and worked there and it is a beautiful place...but also dangerous if you act like the typical American and think you are free to go anyplace you wish...or disrespect the local culture. LATAM is the way it is I think because of the suppressive and controlling influences of 500 years of the Catholic church and Spanish Colonialism. There is really not the level of freedom that you find in the more developed countries and while there may be "legal" freedom, you don't find "social freedom". The self serving nature of government (much more pronounced than in the USA), the various revolutionary counter culture, and the difficulty of gaining wealth and success by traditional means leads to what we generally think of as LATAM. That is my opinion from my experiences...it could all be wrong.

I plan a vacation trip to Mexico soon, because I can, and because I know how to behave in that world. I doubt we will cross paths with any Cartel members, and if we do it will be because they are vacationing in the same places. I do not plan to meddle in their business...in truth, I don't care about their business.

Someone once said that the world is a big book...those who never venture from the town they were born in only get to read one page.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I plan a vacation trip to Mexico soon, because I can, and because I know how to behave in that world. I doubt we will cross paths with any Cartel members, and if we do it will be because they are vacationing in the same places. I do not plan to meddle in their business...in truth, I don't care about their business.
    Yep, I just spent 10 days in the area you're going and had a fine time, while having some Spanish ability helps it's not required and it's easy to get around, overall we had a really enjoyable trip.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities