Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Experience or Thoughts on the Sig M17

I may have a chance to get a very good price on a Sig M17.

If I get it, it’s role would be “bump in the night”/“night stand” gun, carry around our rural place/woods carry and maybe some limited CCW when I can dress around the gun.

My main experience is in the 1911, Glock and Beretta 92 platforms but have been carrying a Sig P365 for a few months.

I understand the training issues with the manual safety.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences with the M17. Thanks!

Well, I bought a new M18. Early days yet, maybe 150 rounds through it. First shot was FTE, then it settled down with no malfs, but running the slide back on a full mag is rough and takes some effort.

It wants to shoot, sometimes three in the same hole at 10 yds, but there will be a couple of rounds opening up the group. Sometimes there are inexplicable fliers, as in inches away.

The trigger is spongy, the reset is adequate. The overall feel is good, but compared to a Glock or even a Beretta 92 it points low, as do most P22x guns for me. I have a spare (cheap) size-small compact grip and a short mag and will fit it when I get the nerve to cut the slots for the manual safety. That grip is shorter but feels better.

Although advertised as having three magazines, my gun came with a single 17 rounder and a voucher for two 21s. Covid, you know. Yet somehow I managed to buy two 21s from another vendor and got them in literally two days.

The tritium rear sight assembly is removable but not adjustable and is as wide as the top of the slide. The notch seems narrow to me. Once the sight is off the gun, you can install a SIG RDS or a Deltapoint Pro, but you'll need the DP notch sight attachment and, I suspect, a suppressor height front.

Naturally, the mags are proprietary to the gun, although they lock into a Beretta PX4 (!) and none of my polymer mag pouches secure the spares properly.

Online wisdom is that it will take a couple of hundred rounds to break the pistol in, at which point it will cycle more smoothly and, hopefully, group properly.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:6

We have like, 40 of them in our arms room. Brand new. I tried to take one apart the other day, and absolutely could not. Take down lever was stuck.

Also point very low, but thats a training thing.

My overall opinion is 'meh'.

Not better than an out of the box, gen4 glockasaurus.

Yeah. So far, not feeling a whole lotta love.

Did finally manage to get the chassis in and out successfully.

This is what you get when you mix Lego with an Erector set.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Let me know if you find a good way to put an RMR on it. To my knowledge there's no perfect solution, at least not like what Suarez International offers. Talk about the Easy Button.

My son is currently deployed for the third time -- Army National Guard -- this time to A'stan as a UH-60 MEDEVAC crewchief. He's been married ten years and his wife said he's been gone half that time either deployed or training. Over the years I've helped him accumulate a variety of weapons for him to keep up his skills, a Colt AR-15 A2, an M-4 style carbine, an AK, a 1911, an M9 and most recently an M17. FWIW, his house guns are a G19 and a 12 gauge pump. But I digress.

Anywhoooo ... before deploying he asked me to put an RMR or a Holosun on the M17. It seemed easy enough as everyone talks about the Army's newest sidearm being optic-ready. I found out this ain't necessarily the case.

SIG seemed to be ill-prepared when it comes to putting combat ready optics on their prize puppy. My understanding is that the Army chose the M17 and the Deltapoint as their optic. Which makes no fucking sense to me, but WTF do I know? Neither the Leupold nor the SIG red dot anywhere near as durable as either the RMR or Holosun series as has been discussed here many times.

So I naively went in search of an RMR-friendly adapter plate. There's only two options, one of which has an integral fixed rear sight, which was a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Which raises another sore point with the M17; the OEM rear sight is fixed, being part of the cover plate. WTF???

The other RMR adapter plate I found has a dovetail for SIG sights, which seemed like a good idea until i got my grubby little hands on it. Both it and its competitor put the RMR too high for any kind of co-witnessing; the top of the rear sight is just even with the bottom of the optic window so you *can* implement the rears using an occluded sighting technique, but ... why would you need to even consider doing that with a 21st century state of the art weapons system?

Even worse, both plates put the rear sight -- both the fixed and the adjustable -- higher than the standard front suppressor height sight. You basically need an MOS-height sight for the M17, which I cannot find.

My son's M17 currently has a Holosun and Ameriglo suppressor height sights for experimental purposes only. The suppressor sights serve primarily as a way to find the gun in the dark. Because of the height disparity you could use them for minute-of-man shooting within 10-15 yards but that's about it. Even if the front sight matched up you'd never get true co-witnessing. We'll play around with it when he gets back. The good news is we can put the gun back to its original form.

Like Glock's MOS system, the SIG optic platform is a poor compromise, possibly worse. Just taking the optic plate off requires removing the slide to access the retaining bolts from underneath. Reminds me of the old days when my friends had to unbolt their engines from the mounts just to change out their spark plugs. Weird and unnecessarily complicated.

There are shops and vendors offering improvement for the discerning shooter. I spent more time than I wanted researching options, but present nobody, including SIG, seems interested in fixing the M17. I didn't even see anyone who offered milling jobs to solve the problem; they may be out there but I lost my enthusiasm. There's talk about an RMR durable optic, but nothing yet. Maybe one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bottom line: If you like the M17/M18, good for you. At this point I think it's necessary if you're issued one and need something with which to train and practice. The best thing I found was that, unlike the P320, the Army guns have thumb safeties. There is no trigger safety on the SIG and the trigger pull is too much like a BB gun for my tastes. But as I said before, WTF do I know?
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

SIMPLY PUT ITS THE GLOCK FOR PEOPLE THAT JUST DONT WANT A GLOCK BY NAME AND YET END UP WITH WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY AN OVERLY COMPLICATED, WITHOUT ANY BENEFIT, GLOCK

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    SIMPLY PUT ITS THE GLOCK FOR PEOPLE THAT JUST DONT WANT A GLOCK BY NAME AND YET END UP WITH WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY AN OVERLY COMPLICATED, WITHOUT ANY BENEFIT, GLOCK
    yep. It doesn't bring any more to the table than what youre already used to. If you want it, get it. Thats all you need to justify
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Mine was purchased as a reference gun--train to familiarity and confidence, then use occasionally to refresh.

Have to remind myself that modification, no matter how beneficial, violates the Prime Directive.

Vale et omnia quae.

I have a M17 Commemorative (Same as military issue) and a M17-320 (Civilian version). They are slightly different, but basically the same. The M17 Comm has issues shooting standard velocity 9mm and upon contact with Sig I found out it is specifically setup for 9mm NATO or at min +P ammo. Once I switched to +P, no more FTE's. My civi model M17 seems to be lighter sprung and shoots standard ammo just fine. I will say the first couple mags had a couple FTE, but never again.

Both of my M17's are very accurate and don't point low at least for me. They are by no means my favorite pistols, I much prefer any of my all metal Sig's. On the other hand I have Glocks that shoot well, but I tend to shoot those low. I've carried and shot Sig's in various forms for > 35 years so they point naturally for me. I imagine if I trained more with a Glock I'd overcome my issue with them.

I looked at the Deltapoint and was not impressed. I too would like a rmr solution for the M17. I have rmr's on a couple Glocks and they are the absolute best. The Sig rep told me they have a new "Pro" Sig red dot that is supposedly now available and according to him a viable alternative to the Trijicon. So far, I haven't seen the Pro for sale or any reports on durability. I have my doubts that the Pro is in the same class as the rmr.

Anyways, old habits die hard so a custom Sig M11 is almost always my daily carry. I thought about a M18, but I couldn't see an advantage over the M17. Same grip, just shorter barrel.
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

“In case of doubt, attack.”
    ― George S. Patton Jr.

"If the government is the answer, then the question is stupid!"

I've got a P320 Carry (basically an M18 without the thumb safety). It's a "meh" gun. Not a natural pointer. Trigger is also "meh", but it's less bad than a stock Glock (by my standards, all striker-fired guns have junk triggers). I can't speak to the RDS mount, except to say that any solution involving an adapter plate is inherently UNSAT.

It's an OK reference gun...but I'd sell it without regrets if the price was reasonable. Maybe do a deal for credit on an M11...