Thread: Tac 13 Upgrades

Default Tac 13 Upgrades

Does anyone have any experience with the extended bolt handle and release for the Tac13.

Are they worth adding?

-- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the extended bolt handle and release for the Tac13.

Are they worth adding?

-- ML
    I would look at this in that same way as I would for any other compact weapon weapons that will be used in tight spaces. Exactly how will it be deployed. I assume it may be used on or about the front seat of a car.
    What works for one may not be a good solution for someone else.
    1st are the accessories reliable and durable.
    2nd do really make the gun work better for you.
    3rd will they be a detriment to handling of the weapon under your conditions of use.

I would do the easy button and follow the lead of SI on such matters. I prefer slim and as unencumbered as possible.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I haven't seen the extension in question, but in general I find extended controls on a shotgun to be un needed. Extended releases on handguns are often a plus because of how small stock controls often are, but guys chamber shells in wet, sub zero weather with gloves on all the time. The charging handle that most semi auto shotguns come with are fine.

I have both the extended bolt handle and release on my Versa Max I use for 3 gun, great for that. For the intended use of the Tac13, NO. As mentioned it all depends on the how the weapon will be used. No value adding that stuff to a close quarters weapon. Plus you will probably not be doing a speed reload with the gun empty if you are running it properly. Shoot - load - shoot - load.

Depends on how much larger and how securely it's retained in the bolt.
    If I had one right now it would be braced, ready to my left hand, cruiser ready, and charged by shoving the bolt handle against my left leg or a piece of furniture. I'd gain fire superiority, shoot it dry, and go to the pistol.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

362. And a wakeup.

Not a complete list, but after about 1500 rds of various slug, buck, and birdshot I have not found the charging handle to be a significant issue.

That is not to say that it wouldnt make it easier, but it hasnt hampered manipulation yet.

Currently Running a brace, RMR (and Holosun as testing continues) and Inova light on a temp mount (looking at how to get light without making the system fatter) and still working on the right front sight height to cowitness my dot.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

We have two. This is what my plans are.

1. Usual internal tune up with NP3 coating on critical bearing surfaces. I want the thing to feel like it was made by Rolex
    2. Our ghost ring sights and an RMR mount
    3. Texturing on the forend...perhaps a new forend
    4. A fixed brace with SBA3 brace system
    5. A larger button safety
    6. A larger charging handle
    7. A new finish

I don't see that great of a benefit for the CQB application (birdhead grip) over the standard Tac-14. But I do with a braced weapon. Larger controls are necessary IMHO on this as they are crucial to its efficient deployment. This is a weapon more dependent on fine dexterity over the 870 which is far more caveman in its operation. The small controls are easier to fumble under duress.

I have not seen these prolific to levels of the Tac-14, and until I do I don't plan to push products for them. But I do think this is far better a weapon than the beretta or benelli in its configuration. I doubt the either of the Euro shotguns will ever be brought out in a Non-NFA birdhead version and the ability to shorten the barrel to 12-14 inches is a huge asset.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Admittedly without having one in hand to determine feasibility, I'd like to see a rotating ambidextrous safety activated by the firing hand index finger.

Like the M1 carbine rotating safety that is a drop-in for the original pushbutton, except with a portside wing, if that makes sense. Not pushing SI to make one, just exploring the possibility.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

362. And a wakeup.