Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tac 13 Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Found one. Shot it.

Baby steps while the off wing heals. Only 5 rounds of Fiocchi #8s at less than 1150 fps.

One handed from the shoulder at 25 yds, one round loaded at a time. Fires to point/area of aim and ejects perfectly. One hell of a dueling pistol.

Recoil not excessive, except for how the squared shoulder at the back of the trigger guard punishes the middle finger.

Two hands or a brace would mitigate, but it's odd the engineers at Big Green didn't catch this.

An extended charging handle is indicated (the G&G has some bad reviews), and the bolt release needs a firm push to run. Not sure I care for the vented rib.

More as the week progresses.
    Thanks for your user report.
    Have Colt, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Thanks for your user report.
    More to come. Fitted a brace to it with the ERGO adapter from SI and an SBL I pulled off a Mossy. I may have to mount an RDS to hit POA/POI, as the SBL is straight and has minimal drop.

Other than the G&G, anyone know of a decent extended charging handle, or one I could modify to fit?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

But I do think this is far better a weapon than the beretta or benelli in its configuration. I doubt the either of the Euro shotguns will ever be brought out in a Non-NFA birdhead version and the ability to shorten the barrel to 12-14 inches is a huge asset.
    The M1 and M2 Benellis have a quite long housing, for the recoil spring, that protrudes into the stock. I removed the stock from one of my 18.5” M2 Benellis, and placed it next to my 18” 870P, which has a Magpul stock, with the pad, but no spacers. The M2 could not be made much shorter that the 870P. I had recently bought a pre-owned, rasped-up wood stock, for the M2. (It looks like someone had let a power tool get away from them.) My plan had been to shorten this wood stock, leaving just enough to surround the nut that holds the stock retention plate, then remove as much excess wood as practicable, but I am now wondering if it is worth the trouble. I may just be making kindling.

Similar parts of a Benelli M4 are different part numbers, but it appears that the recoil spring tube protrudes about as far into the stock.

The Beretta 1301 seems to be a better candidate for a bird’s-heading of the stock, as it does not appear that anything protrudes far into the stock, as I see the schematic drawings, but, at least for me, the safety is in the “wrong” place, as my familiarity is with the 870, and the Benelli M1 and M2.
    Have Colt, will travel.

There was a company that I ran across
    that was making exactly what you have
    described. I bought enough to cover all
    of my Remington's and then found that
    they went tango-uniform 2 years ago.

Admittedly without having one in hand to determine feasibility, I'd like to see a rotating ambidextrous safety activated by the firing hand index finger.

Like the M1 carbine rotating safety that is a drop-in for the original pushbutton, except with a portside wing, if that makes sense. Not pushing SI to make one, just exploring the possibility.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

More to come. Fitted a brace to it with the ERGO adapter from SI and an SBL I pulled off a Mossy. I may have to mount an RDS to hit POA/POI, as the SBL is straight and has minimal drop.

Other than the G&G, anyone know of a decent extended charging handle, or one I could modify to fit?
    ROTH Oversize Charging Handle Benelli, VMAX

Fits Benelli M1, M2, SBE1, SBE2, M4, Remington VMAX

This is the one I use on my VMAX for 3 gun, it has held up fine. Looks like a number of the Benelli handles will also work.

Just realized the Tac 13 may not be exactly the same as the VMAX, worth a call to Roth to find out.

Additional today.

Fitted the Ergo adapter and an old SB brace. Unsat. This setup has insufficient drop to get my eye properly aligned behind the rib and bead. Better off without it.
    Until I remove it, I'll avoid even occasional emergency use. I don't like being punched in the face and shooting high in the bargain.

That said, I fired 50+, slugs and #00 and #4, today from my left side in various modes. Flawless functioning. The gun can be one-handed even with an AR grip without discomfort.

Lesson #1: that brace setup is unsat and must go. Make that did go. OEM grip is back on the gun.
    Lesson #2: this gun is screaming for an extended safety.
    Lesson #3: Shoot up your old ammo in a timely fashion and cycle in fresh. I shot some 1977 Winchester "Super Buckshot" in 00 (9 pellets) and the recoil was brutal. And God knows where those blue-hulled S&W slugs came
    from, or when they were manufactured.
    Last edited by Papa; 04-28-2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: update
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.