Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Minimalist Shoes

Anyone else here a minimalist shoe adherent? I have worn second-generation Merrell Vapor Gloves almost daily for nearly a year and am a diehard barefoot shoe enthusiast. Problem is, my Vapor Gloves' uppers have worn out rather quickly, and I'm shopping around a bit to see what else might be similar that would last a little longer.

I've looked at the fourth-generation Vapor Glove online, and it *appears* that the upper would be more durable, but I haven't handled them to find out. I like the thin sole for its flexibility and ground feel. I tried on the Trail Glove 5 earlier but didn't like how substantial the arch support is, although my body alignment stayed the same due to the zero drop sole. The New Balance Minimus 10v1 seemed to offer decent ground feel while offering a more substantial sole (better lugs for mix of road and trail use) and potentially more durable upper. Problem was, the heel drop is 4 millimeters; while not much in actual measurement, I noticed it and would have to readjust my lifting and walking form. That's not the end of the world, I don't suppose, but I'm wary about the difference that makes in posture and walking. My lower back and knees have been helped significantly by my consistent use of zero drop minimalist footwear, and I am reticent to introduce any level of heel drop again.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Generally wear traditional boots or shoes for work or gym but have Vibram 5 fingers and love the feel when wearing them.

My super-old Original Gangster Trail Gloves are finally about to kick the bucket, so I also will be in the market for a replacement soon and need to start seeing what is out there now.

I did recently switch to Reebok Nanos for general working out, and really like them in that role, but still use the Trail Gloves when I want zero-drop (mostly running and deadlifts).
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I tried the five-toe shoes for a while years ago. I even ran a 5K obstacle course in them. They just weren’t for me. I switched to Altra brand shoes and it changed my life. Helped heal my blistered toes and broken knees. The have a very wide toe box, super flexible, and zero drop. My only issue with them is with steady or heavy use the do tear on the sides. I just see them as a necessary expendable cost for my health.
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
    Jeff Cooper

I lift in wrestling shoes, and have since I was in Jr. HS. I will continue to do so. For running (I don't run) and cycling, I wear running shoes. For everything else in normal life I'm in boots of some kind or dress shoes.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    My super-old Original Gangster Trail Gloves are finally about to kick the bucket, so I also will be in the market for a replacement soon and need to start seeing what is out there now.

I did recently switch to Reebok Nanos for general working out, and really like them in that role, but still use the Trail Gloves when I want zero-drop (mostly running and deadlifts).
    Not sure how the tread pattern on your old TGs is, but the new ones have a pretty aggressive tread. If you do a lot of trail running, they would be just the thing (assuming you're also cool with a substantial arch piece), but running on roads would be a bit of a pain due to the extra tread texture. If I wanted a lightweight, semi-minimalist shoe to use solely for hiking, I would be tempted by the TGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    For everything else in normal life I'm in boots of some kind or dress shoes.
    I wish there were an effective minimalist dress shoe, but the two kinda just don't go together, unfortunately, and I have a future of almost exclusively dress shoes fast approaching.

Black converse high tops.....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Keep it real, Iím a product of the 80s and 90s...
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Black converse high tops.....
    Used to wear Converse high tops all the time. Only problem I have with them anymore is the exceptionally narrow toe box.