Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun ammo

Default Shotgun ammo

Iíve never engaged a human with a shotgun. Iíve hunted deer for 35 years, using a 12 gauge loaded with
    2 3/4 inch number one buckshot. Number one patterns better than 00 and 16 thirty caliber pellets is a heavier
    load than 9 thirty-three caliber pellets. The range of kills were generally 25 all the way to 50 yards on running deer. I have never seen a valid reason to choose 00 buck over number 1.
    My shotgun is a rem870 with a 20 inch barrel. I prefer the modified choke tube because it works best in my gun. The Wilson made version of the witness protection shotgun used a modified choke as well. I like the idea of these short shotguns but I do not see me using one. I guess it boils down to when in doubt, go with what you know. Iím sure Iíll catch flack for posting about hunting experience when talking about a defensive shotgun, but Iíve killed a heck of a lot more deer than anyone has killed men with one. Killing is killing, and yes I have combat experience as well so I know the difference.

Ok...so you like #1 buck. Cool.

Ok...so killing is killing...yeah...to a point. If you dont drop the deer, it isn't going to try to kill you back.

Oh...and there are far more short barreled options today than the Wilson Witness Protection shotgun of the 1980s.

Just saying.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

My 1301T is currently loaded with FC#1 and I'm very comfortable with it doing its job if called upon.
    That said, I picked up some FC 8 pellet OO and as soon as I have a chance I will pattern test it. If it holds tighter patterns than the #1 I will switch over. I am most interested in keeping all the lead on the target as far out as possible.
    I get the impression that of all the ammunition types in existence the 12g gets the least testing by manufacturers in regards to maximizing its self defense potential.
    Why? Because LE and Military groups don't ask for anything better. The 12g has gone out of style and the people who do still use it just load up 00 Buck and roll with it, because that's what they've always done... "It works good enough" instead of "Could it be even better?".
    Just my opinion and subject to being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcord View Post
    Iíve never engaged a human with a shotgun. Iíve hunted deer for 35 years, using a 12 gauge loaded with
    2 3/4 inch number one buckshot. Number one patterns better than 00 and 16 thirty caliber pellets is a heavier
    load than 9 thirty-three caliber pellets...
    Out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by patterns better?

You have to ask yourself if a tight pattern at 25 yards is what you would want in a self-defense situation. I believe that a head size pattern inside the house serves me best in a shotgun.

--ML

Take the SI Shotgun Gunfighting class and your eyes will be opened to what one of those short shotguns can do. You will learn how to gunfight with a shotgun and all that entails. Killing is killing, but I would hate to be be fighting in close quarters with a 20" shotgun. As Greg Nichols pointed out that everything boils down to role, niche and envelope. Hunting deer in the forest, taking longer range shotgun shots, a 20" shotgun with some kind of flight control tightly packed load is perfect. Hunting a human that is shooting back at you in CQB, there are much better tools for that role. I am a convert to the SI stakeout weapon system. It is the queen, I dare say the king, of the close range niche. After you get the right tool, you pick the correct ammunition for your envelope.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

#4 in the gun, with #00 and a few slugs in the carry bag. This is in a 13" Suarez barrel. Group is saucer-sized inside my house and stays on the chest of a B27 out to 25-30 yards. For what I use this gun for - home defense/truck gun, that's what I want. I have other tools for other roles. I like the pattern density of #4 in these scenarios.

So are shotgun ammo threads going to be the new topic that pops up every couple of months and does nothing productive now?
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I am not a hunter. But, I know that when hunting, you wait to take the shot.

In fighting, if you wait, the shot will take you.

-- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    I am not a hunter. But, I know that when hunting, you wait to take the shot.

In fighting, if you wait, the shot will take you.

-- ML
    Not on running deer. Typical hunting in the south is using dogs to run deer out of the swamps. Your shot is going to happen fast or not at all.

What exactly is meant by “patterns better”? Tighter? Looser? More consistent?
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington