Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASSETS

Default ASSETS

AT the last KWTL class we discussed the theater shooter event and how to justify it as well as how to prep subsequent statements. We took a bunny trail to discuss the tactical issues of the event. Namely distance, smoke, the need to keep visual focus in the area of the target with varying degrees...and the likelihood of taking shots from compromised position while moving and on moving targets.

This is what I thought was important:

1). A weapon with a modern capacity. Sometimes due to social constraints, we may need to compromise this, and truly a J Frame or Seecamp in the pocket is worth more than a Glock 35 in the safe. But those constraints are artificial and situational. When we are not so constrained we should carry the best weapon we can. And in 2019 that means a 9mm with at least 15 rounds.

2). A Trijicon RMR should be on every successful man or woman's pistol. It doesn't matter how good you are with iron sights...what matters is that however good you are, you will be better with the red dot system. Most red dots are trash. Vortex, Burris, Romeos, or whathaveyou. Trash. That is what they are and I will not entertain any possible advantage that they may give. We have seen them all fail. The most reliable and robust are the Trijicon RMR. And strangely enough...the next best seem to be the Holosun. That they enhance your shooting abilty to the point of ridiculous has been established by us for over a decade now.

3). Accuracy enhancing modifications such as triggers, action jobs and match barrels. They give you an edge...so why not take the edge? Nobody wants to go to a gunfight with a shitty sewer pipe barrel and a gritty trigger.

4). The last point is a controversial one. The laser. IMHO, a laser is of more value than a light. If there is enough light to see a threat, you do not need to illuminate it further. The silhouette with the rifle shooting kids is the bad guy. You don't need any more. What you do need is the ability to insure your pistol is aligned with him as you rush to get the shot. And as you do so, it is not as easy to keep the eye in the area of sights or dot. The laser on the chest lets you know you have him. Illuminating him so you can see facial features does not help you to kill him any better.

More on the laser - It must be as compact as possible, it should not impede the original intent of the weapon (light, handy, comfortable grip, etc.), and it must be operated by grip pressure of the firing hand one handed while the finger is on the trigger. And...this being the biggest issue I have seen...you need a holster that can accomodate it.

Thoughts from you guys?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Which laser do you recommend for Glocks ?

Years ago I tried the crimson trace on some j-frames and they would not hold zero.

To my knowledge, the only laser that fits the bill right now is the Crimson Trace Laserguard. It is compact, simple, and can be operated with one-handed. The challenge, as Gabe points out, is holsters. Right now, there's not much choice but to order something custom.

While I think that most people are relying on lasers when pointshooting should be their focus, the laser is incredibly useful for many circumstances. And I agree, far more useful than a light on an EDC pistol.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bond View Post
    Which laser do you recommend for Glocks ?

Years ago I tried the crimson trace on some j-frames and they would not hold zero.
    They aren't going to zero like an RMR but will keep a relative zero for closer shots inside of 20 ish yards.
    Gabriel Suarez

The Laserguard. I think this is the best choice right now.
    42324940-ED05-4A3A-A10E-9B614C2F5F5B.jpeg

I picked up a Rail Master for another project that didn’t pan out. I ended up putting it on a PDW. It is a nice piece of kit but requires two hands, so it just isn’t a good choice for an EDC. So far I like it on the PDW, but I can see that a laser/light combo would be better for that gun.

0B2C15D6-6B4E-4F58-8E5F-FAEAD5EE5851.jpg
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I am actually considering leather at this point as it can be more easily molded without the sharp edges of Kydex. It will have a softer feel than kydex I suspect and there won't be as much "overage" as we find with kuydex. It won't be "perfect" but I have all but given up on anything really good coming in the Kydex world.
    Gabriel Suarez

I have the Laserguard on my Guttersnipe 17 and had a Kydex IWB holster made for it. Works really well for me.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I am actually considering leather at this point as it can be more easily molded without the sharp edges of Kydex. It will have a softer feel than kydex I suspect and there won't be as much "overage" as we find with kuydex. It won't be "perfect" but I have all but given up on anything really good coming in the Kydex world.
    Yes, the kydex designs with too much "overage" annoy me. Some designs are better than others but the simpler production methods leave a lot of extra material. I use a belt sander to take most of the material off, getting as close to the rivets as possible while leaving enough to keep it strong. Kinda a pain in the ass but worth it to me.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    To my knowledge, the only laser that fits the bill right now is the Crimson Trace Laserguard.......
    If the price was the same, would you pick green or red laser ?

Thoughts:

1. Capacity is cool. Not much mentioned in the modern civil world is the beauty of suppressive fire. Yeah, killing him is the ultimate in suppression, but no, not every bullet has a lawyer attached. And if he's ducking, you've bought time for others to evacuate. Don't look to Hollywood for examples, but think of what would keep you from poking around a corner.

2. Yeah, RMRs rule. I think this is one topic where the science is settled. We can dicker over format, but the advantages of maintaining a threat focus and putting the dot out there are firmly established.

3. The only caveat on tuning a gun that I'd make is that equipment won't replace training. I've seen too many guys show up with Tier 1 gear and Tier 12 trigger control.

4. Can't say that I'm enthusiastic about lasers. While every tool is a niche device, the laser's corner seems way smaller than desirable. Part of that may be the amount of time I spend in the Arizona sun. But I don't see what they give me (barring IR and NVGs) that the RMR doesn't. With the laser, I need to hunt down range for a dot of varied size that has a lot of wobble in it. The tendency seems to be to look over the gun and to move the hand to bring the projected dot on target. With the RMR, the dot is effectively at my fingertips and is much easier to acquire. I'm looking through my gun and the eye-hand co-ordination is mush easier; I'm looking on-axis rather than separated from the line of the laser. Also, it's always the same size in my field of view. In a nutshell, I don't see what it gives me that the RMR doesn't.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle