Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: On Recovery

Sure! I'll know about my sched by tonight, give you a call or email.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

And the verdict is---

Six more months of recovery before I can go back to the road.

That's almost a month past my original projected retirement date. And it would be on light duty.

Ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Update:

No excessive detail but: about 90% mobility, 40% strength and improving. Still some pain, but pain is life.

You know things are getting better when you can draw quickly and smoothly from 4:00.

And when you discover, as I did yesterday shooting my old .40 BUG, that you can straighten your arms and shoot rapidly, and the recoil feels so good you're smiling.

Vale et omnia quae.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Update:

No excessive detail but: about 90% mobility, 40% strength and improving. Still some pain, but pain is life.

You know things are getting better when you can draw quickly and smoothly from 4:00.

And when you discover, as I did yesterday shooting my old .40 BUG, that you can straighten your arms and shoot rapidly, and the recoil feels so good you're smiling.
    Nothing like getting back in the saddle, eh Brother!!!!��

Resurrected this one because its title is optimistic and so am I.

Despite exposure to three confirmed Covid vics over the course of a week I tested neg twice using QuickVue. But a couple of days ago I tested again and saw the faint pink stripe, then again 24 hrs later, darker this time, then this morning, very faint but still visible.

I am no longer in an area full of smoke, which may have masked any symptoms. Had a brief temp spike about two days ago, 99 plus, but normal or lower since. No other symptoms worth mentioning.

Response this morning was to take a hike in the woods, hit the bench and hole up in the bunkhouse with an old VCR and sandwiches. Watching Conagher now.

So I won't be at Brent's donnybrook. This time.

Cheers.

Vale et omnia quae.

Get better.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Update: Negative test today, after positive tests 9/11, 9/12, 9/13. Guardedly optimistic. Tomorrow's test will tell. It better.

I wonder if April's illness was my immune system successfully fighting off the original strain without contracting it. The XO had it then for sure, according to the antibodies in her blood test

So far, so good.

Vale et omnia quae.

So far, so good.
    Good news.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Disregard my last post--premature. I took another QuickVue test 24 hours later--positive. Discouraging.

Waited a couple of days, then did a drive thru test at the local RiteAid on 9.20.21. Results via email this AM: negative.

Moved my stuff out of the bunkhouse and I'm home again. The dogs, and the XO, are happy to see me, and all's right with the universe.

Lessons learned:

1. No vaccine for me. My son's was a breakthrough case, with mild but apparent symptoms, and he was fully vaxx'd.

2. Surviving the original strain does not mean you won't contract Delta. I did. Do I get the "Control Group" T-shirt?

3. YMMV. As in: two of the vics in this contact group went to the ER and damned near didn't make it. One, whose relation to God is closer to mine, prayed, received assurance, and told the nurse he was walking out of there next day. He did. The other,
    my brother-in-
    law, is still in ICU and frequently taking O2. My sister toughed it out alone at home and she's OK.

4. Delta's gifts to me:fatigue, irritation and anger (not too much different from my normal), and muscular pain after exertion such as lifting, running, hiking. Recovery time is doubled or tripled, and there's a slight balance issue, headaches
    and back pain. All of this is gradually resolving.
    I expected it--as anyone who works out when they have the flu should. High temps were in the 99-plus range. Concerned about masking symptoms, I took no meds, not even acetaminophen, but hydrated like crazy and took two courses of vitamins D and C about
    10 days apart. I had to drive myself to do yard work, brushcutting, gunsmithing, exercise, doing dishes, getting dressed in the AM, and making the effing bed.
    I used a mantra and mind's eye visual to help with this: sticking my thumb in COVID's eye.
    F*** you, blue flu.

5. Patience: I lost a month--one third of the summer--to this. And I'm not all the way back yet. One tree at a time.

Z variant, anyone?
    Last edited by Papa; 09-22-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Vale et omnia quae.

Disregard my last post--premature. I took another QuickVue test 24 hours later--positive. Discouraging.

Waited a couple of days, then did a drive thru test at the local RiteAid on 9.20.21. Results via email this AM: negative.

Moved my stuff out of the bunkhouse and I'm home again. The dogs, and the XO, are happy to see me, and all's right with the universe.

Lessons learned:

1. No vaccine for me. My son's was a breakthrough case, with mild but apparent symptoms, and he was fully vaxx'd.

2. Surviving the original strain does not mean you won't contract Delta. I did. Do I get the "Control Group" T-shirt?

3. YMMV. As in: two of the vics in this contact group went to the ER and damned near didn't make it. One, whose relation to God is closer to mine, prayed, received assurance, and told the nurse he was walking out of there next day. He did. The other, my brother-in-
    law, is still in ICU and frequently taking O2. My sister toughed it out alone at home and she's OK.

4. Delta's gifts to me:fatigue, irritation and anger (not too much different from my normal), and muscular pain after exertion such as lifting, running, hiking. Recovery time is doubled or tripled, and there's a slight balance issue, headaches and back pain. All of this is gradually resolving.
    I expected it--as anyone who works out when they have the flu should. High temps were in the 99-plus range. Concerned about masking symptoms, I took no meds, not even acetaminophen, but hydrated like crazy and took two courses of vitamins D and C about
    10 days apart. I had to drive myself to do yard work, brushcutting, gunsmithing, exercise, doing dishes, getting dressed in the AM, and making the effing bed.
    I used a mantra and mind's eye visual to help with this: sticking my thumb in COVID's eye.
    F*** you, blue flu.

5. Patience: I lost a month--one third of the summer--to this. And I'm not all the way back yet. One tree at a time.

Z variant. anyone?
    Glad to hear you're getting back in the game. Also helps go to prove that maintaining a healthy, driven lifestyle, with the physical and mental conditioning to show for it, goes a very long way to ensuring that you handle the Kung Flu just fine and kick its butt.