Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    IMHO, the 229 is the ultimate CCW DA/SA...
    I know this has been discussed to some degree before now, but I've never entirely grasped—why the 229 vs. the 226? I would guess that the longer barrel would contribute at least a modicum of enhanced accuracy and control over the shorter barrel, which would recommend the 226 over the 229. On the other hand those benefits could be negligible. What sets the 229 apart? (Asking partly because I have a souped up DA/SA in mind for the future.)

Having carried one or more SIGS for extended periods (P220s, P224, P228, P229 and P226) I find that the longer guns tend to bear on a surgical scar and chafe on the inguinal fold, even if holstered. The 228/229 do not, they clear the waistband more quickly and they are lighter. The grip is shorter but does not compromise control or comfort the way a flush magazined P224's does. The 228/229 feels more "lively" in the hand, if that makes sense, with the old stamped slide 228 having an edge here.

Take a P226 in one hand, a P228/229 in the other and run through some dryfire drills. Then switch hands. The P226 isn't bad, but it's not as good.

For me, anyway.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

You know, I hadn't looked at the OAL measurements for each one. The 226 is appreciably longer, enough that it would make a difference in comfort and how well it handles. I carry a VP9 currently, and the 226 is definitely longer, whereas the 229 is almost exactly the same length.

Looks like I would probably do better with a 229, then. Definitely want to handle them side-by-side, though.

Time for a family picture. Left to right:

- the discontinued P290RS, DAO 6+1 9mm, which is still a mainstay for me (this is my second as I regrettably sold off the first one)

- the discontinued P239, DA/SA, made in Germany, 8+1 9mm, not sure if it will be a permanent member of the family

- a pair of I think the best factory pistols: P229 Legion DA/SA 15+1 9mm, aluminum frames, with the butter smooth SRT Grayguns triggers

- P365, amazing 12+1 capacity in such a tiny 9mm, but striker fired; even with large hands I really like its tiny grip, oversized trigger guard, and angled triangular mag release button.

- P320, striker fired, 15+1 9mm (this is a study/familiarization gun for me, has the best feel in my hands of any factory pistol, I just find its trigger, like all striker fired guns, to be mushy)

Even though I have more supporting kit for Glocks, my new preference is DA/SA Sigs.

None of these are “perfect,” but there are characteristics I like about each of them.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post

Time for a family picture. Left to right:

- the discontinued P290RS, DAO 6+1 9mm, which is still a mainstay for me (this is my second as I regrettably sold off the first one)

- the discontinued P239, DA/SA, made in Germany, 8+1 9mm, not sure if it will be a permanent member of the family

- a pair of I think the best factory pistols: P229 Legion DA/SA 15+1 9mm, aluminum frames, with the butter smooth SRT Grayguns triggers

- P365, amazing 12+1 capacity in such a tiny 9mm, but striker fired; even with large hands I really like its tiny grip, oversized trigger guard, and angled triangular mag release button.

- P320, striker fired, 15+1 9mm (this is a study/familiarization gun for me, has the best feel in my hands of any factory pistol, I just find its trigger, like all striker fired guns, to be mushy)

Even though I have more supporting kit for Glocks, my new preference is DA/SA Sigs.

None of these are “perfect,” but there are characteristics I like about each of them.
    Very nice... an SRT trigger and some G10 checkered grips will go a long ways towards keeping that P239 in the stable.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    Very nice... an SRT trigger and some G10 checkered grips will go a long ways towards keeping that P239 in the stable.
    I don’t mind the grips thus far, but I’ll drop in the SRT and let you know what I think.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Because I can, I've been rolling with a no-rail 229 and no-rail 226, both "legacy" guns, in .40. Extended mags on both and in the double paddle pouch. The Mk25 slide I scored here will likely go onto the 226. I intend to buy a 9mm "legacy" 229 slide today and populate as finances permit, once I come to my senses.

There's something about the balance and handling of the no-rail guns for EDC I can't quite articulate.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    There's something about the balance and handling of the no-rail guns for EDC I can't quite articulate.
    Agreed. It's why I prefer the M11-A1 in their current lineup, and the P229 SAS before that.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

I don’t have any more 229s, but I agree that they are great carry pieces. An HK P30/9mm is a similar form factor and what I use right now, but I do miss having a 229 on hand.

And a given 229 vs a given P30 is going to have a better working trigger.
    Last edited by TbL; 04-14-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Saved round, just a Sig story, I was issued a Navy 226 for a while in 2014. Older non-rail/steel slide with anchor engraving, not sure what MK/MOD those were, but I had to go up to Iraq short notice in support of what would become Op Inherent Resolve. I was attached to the NSWU in Bahrain as part of an Army SF detachment (not a long tabber) and our weapons were in a connex somewhere other than where we were. So I got issued a Navy gat with a DeSantis kydex IWB and toted that piece all over Iraq and the Gulf region. With 124/NATO of course. One of the SEAL S3 O’s had a 239 in some kind of shoulder holster. This was right before the MTOE level adoption of the G19 for WARCOM. USASOC had been doing the 19 for a long time at that point.

I’d roll with a 226, 229, 2022 in a heartbeat and not think twice. It’s hard to argue the merits of TDA with gun nerds that have been brainwashed by YouTube into believing that striker is the only way, but that’s cool, there’s no point in arguing anyways.

But I have a USP 40 stashed nearby and on the downlow where it’s a no go so I’m off the bell curve as far as LAGO and mainstream thinking about pistols (like most here) and I’m cool with that too.
    Last edited by TbL; 04-14-2021 at 11:04 AM.