Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The P220 was the original model. Sold in 9mm, 38 Super and 45 ACP. Also sold as a Browining BDA in the US. The P5 (and later P225) was a compact version of it.

Later came the P226 in 9mm to compete against the Beretta 92F in what the 1911 crowd thought was the abomination of desolation...the adoption of a double action, foreign-made, 9mm.

The P226 morphed into various models some still around and some discontinued. This something that SIG, like Smith and Wesson, has a habit of doing.

The P229 was a compact version of the 226. I didn't have one until recently. Think of the 226 and the 229 like a Glock 17 and a Glock 19. The reason I got ths one is that the particular model (smoother, no rails, kinda like the US MIl's M11) is also discontinued.

There were others...the 224 (analagous to the Glock 26) now discontinued, and the 239...like a Glock 48...also gone.

FWIW, the world has a hard-on for striker fired pistols and will likely maintain the love affair for some years to come. I can't make any money from the DA world because it is so small and guys that vuy these tend to leave the guns alone. But for those who put in the time...and have the money...a Sig DA/SA - specially one with a tuned action and an RMR - has attributes and offers benefits that no other system offers. Just saying.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

The P229 was a compact version of the 226. I didn't have one until recently. Think of the 226 and the 229 like a Glock 17 and a Glock 19. The reason I got ths one is that the particular model (smoother, no rails, kinda like the US MIl's M11) is also discontinued.
    I picked up a similar 229, I forget what model it was but no rails. It's used and wasn't pretty but I had Shopmonkey give it some attention and put a new 357 barrel in it. I plan to ring it out this month. If it does everything I want I'll probably send it back down for NP3.

And then there was that competition model I got...no pics yet but looking forward to working with that one as well.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Top to bottom: P229R Nitron with SRT and trigger job; P229 SAS Gen 2; P239 SAS Gen 2. All in 9mm, of course.

The 229R Nitron is my candidate for SI milling, should it be offered again.

The 229 SAS and 239 SAS are my absolute favorite of both models, offered standard with no rail, SRT and standard reach triggers, plus the Sig Anti-Snag (SAS) carry melt. They are also both discontinued models, although there are still some new-old stock models available on Gunbroker and the like. I prefer to keep the SAS models as-is, i.e., no RMR. The 229 SAS came standard with my preferred E2 grips, whereas my only complaint about the 239 is the OEM plastic grips, which I could
    probably address w/ a stippling job.

Sig Family.jpgSig P229 Nitron.jpgSig P229 SAS Gen 2.jpgSig P239 SAS Gen 2.jpg
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I picked up a similar 229, I forget what model it was but no rails. It's used and wasn't pretty but I had Shopmonkey give it some attention and put a new 357 barrel in it. I plan to ring it out this month. If it does everything I want I'll probably send it back down for NP3.

And then there was that competition model I got...no pics yet but looking forward to working with that one as well.
    229.jpg
    Pretty much what I have, but I bought new in 1995 originally in .40 cal. Updated to .357 Sig and SRT trigger, then later did NP3 finish and changed out grips.

Just an old P226 I got cheap in 40. Found a complete 9mm slide, added the RMR and Suarez adjustable trigger.
    C3E3A363-5BDA-46F9-923F-F519380CD2A8.jpeg
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

The XO's FrankenSig--a stamped 9mm upper on a .40 229R--

frankensig.jpg

and a wee little fella.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 17. And a wakeup.

I wish I could find another 290. I sold mine and now realise it is the best NPE pocket 9mm ever made.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

They show up periodically on GB and elsewhere.

We have frequently discussed Sig's ADHD and other disorders on this site.

What were they thinking?

1, 0, 17. And a wakeup.

Hey Papa, which TLR switch is that? Did you have to do anything to make it work?
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Hey Papa, which TLR switch is that? Did you have to do anything to make it work?
    Smith and Wesson. Works OK on the 229, but the hook on the 226 is too large.

1, 0, 17. And a wakeup.