Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A DISCUSSION ON DOUBLE ACTION PISTOLS

On Ellifritz's blog. In my opinion, you lose nothing by using a double action blaster of good quality. The DA/SA in comparison to the Striker Fired Weapon is like a manually operated transmission vs an automatic transmission.

DOUBLE ACTION PISTOLS
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

That's a helpful summary. I have played with DA/SA platforms a bit and find them intriguing, even considering getting one to use for carry.

Striker weapons seem to own the game with regard to ease of repair, maintenance/service, and stupid-simple operation (press the trigger the same way every single time, regardless of distance, timing/reaction scenario, etc.). I do like the nuance they allow for staging longer/more precise shots by either staging the hammer just before the break or cocking the hammer for long-distance and proactive shooting.

Manual vs. automatic transmission comparison is a helpful one; driving a manual because automatics bore me, I like having the ability to control the shifting and thus certain elements of the power output. Some day I'll get a DA/SA, like a Sig P226 Legion. Personally, I tend to think that pistol could compete handily for title of "premier fighting pistol," albeit based on limited experience of my own.

I have no issues with my S&W 3913s, Berettas M-9 and the Type M, or my SIG Sauers P-220/6/8/9. All are top notch weapons and very accurate and reliable.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

Thinking further on this: An instructor told me once to "slow down around the curves" of gunfighting, like a racecar driver does. Meaning, get to the grip of the pistol really quickly, then slow just enough to ensure you get the right grip, then fast up to workspace, anchor the support hand, then fast forward for presentation. Fast to new mag, slow down just enough to get a proper grip, fast to the magwell, slow enough to slide it in smoothly, then fast to slam it home. Seems the same is allowed by a DA/SA, once one understands enough about how to handle a pistol to begin with.

And, ya know, gunfighting is just karate at 1200 fps. A roundhouse means a lot more as you learn how to get to it, where to apply it, how to apply it in different situations, so on. A DA/SA seems almost to enable other dimensions of the same kick across the board.

I generally carry striker guns on duty, TDA off, as the need dictates or the mood strikes.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.

I will add that when one is a novice, they should stick to one type. But when one is beyond that level, it doesn't really matter.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I will add that when one is a novice, they should stick to one type. But when one is beyond that level, it doesn't really matter.
    With this caveat, for me at least. I no longer carry single action hammer guns for serious purposes.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.

My RMRd 226 is a tack driver and I use it as my carry gun while working outside.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

yea I'm super pro 2A and all that, but I really, really wish I see the folks getting CCW licenses and shopping our local gun stores could only buy DA revolvers or pistols. Way too many sub $500 plastic "striker fired pistols that to activate the safety you pull the trigger" guns being put in the hands of woefully prepared people.

After going to the Suarez SA/DA one day clinic last year, my appreciation of that type of pistol grew exponentially. I was missing that part of my gun fighting skills and need to practice the manual transmission type of shooting and the advantages it gives. I was so impressed I bought a Sig P226 and gave it over to Gabe's magicians, not that it needed much. Shop Monkey worked his magic and did some sweet trigger work, RMR, NP3 and it is a handsome, serious and deadly tool.
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy