Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sick Dog Help

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Pedigree is absolute crap. Get some quality dog food for him. It doesn't even cost much more.
    It is not a quality food and not for dogs that can not handle it. My worry with it is the high amount of omega 6's in it that in humans and likely in dogs favor inflammation and heart problems. The omega 3's are the opposite.
    Mine can handle it, but as they get older I will have to find them a reasonably priced source of omega 3s. It is produced naturally by some algae that eventually via the food chain end up in fish, krill, and other organisms.

I also supplement their dry dog food with eggs. Eggs are a cheap source of quality lipids and proteins. I give mine about a one jumbo egg daily, sometimes more.

One of the most asked questions here at DNM is, ” Can dogs eat eggs?” And there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about raw feeding and eggs!
    It seems the poor egg is often dragged through the mud as a dangerous food for dogs. But is it?
    Some say that eggs are too high in cholesterol … or they worry that they pose a risk of salmonella and will cause a biotin deficiency.
    To that, I say nonsense!
    Eggs are a cheap and safe source of raw food for your dog. And they’re one of the most complete and nutritious meals you can choose! https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...s-good-or-bad/
    Last edited by barnetmill; 11-04-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: more information
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I would look into chicken leg quarters. The calcium to meat ratio is almost perfect. I recommend anybody starting out with any kind of a raw diet beginning on a cycle of that. You can't beat the price, and the nutrition content is far superior to any commercial dog food.

Again,THANKS!

What's a good,reasonably priced dry food? Royal Canin was $66 for a 30lb bag. I'm also gonna order some enzymes from Chewy. Eggs and leg quarters are on the menu.
    There's no blood in his stool.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Again,THANKS!

What's a good,reasonably priced dry food? Royal Canin was $66 for a 30lb bag. I'm also gonna order some enzymes from Chewy. Eggs and leg quarters are on the menu.
    There's no blood in his stool.
    You may want to try cooking some of the chicken and put it into small slices. When I looked at the expensive dog foods, I decided at those prices I get could feed the dogs actual fish, meat, chicken, and eggs at that price and they would be better off. With my dogs if I give one of them meat than the others will want it too.
    Walmarts and also other stores do have the rear leg quarters. These are not organic and free run chickens. The natural oils in mackerel prepared in brine will help the dog's also. One of the dollar stores gives the best price for it.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 11-05-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Yep. If your pup truly has IBS, I would skip dry dog food altogether. It will irritate the lining of the bowels. Stick with raw meat, cooked or canned vegetables, and cooked rice. Lots of protein and fat.

I don't own a dog anymore, if I did the only thing I'd feed it is raw chicken and eggs (cooked or not), then supplement with vitamins. Store-bought food is garbage.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Xray tomorrow.Barring earth shattering news, here's the plan: This am Ruger got some of the Pedigree kibble, twice as much cooked rice, 1/2 cup of Swanson chicken broth, 1/4 cup of pure canned pumpkin. Royal Canin GSD food came today so he got a cup of rice, a cup of Royal Canin, a raw egg and some broth. Starting to taper the prednisone. Picked up a can of mackerel this pm. Will feed some of it tomorrow. Oh yeah, both got some ground beef, too.
    Shadow will get some of the same but a lot of canned green beans to get his wt down. I'll have to slowly taper the amount of food for both. Ruger stole the little bag (maybe 2# left) of RC off the counter that some dummy left as I went out to work,
    Will probably go to a raw diet, especially if Ruger improves. It's too early to tell but I'm hopeful.
    Yeah, I like my dogs better than most people.

How did the x-ray go? I wouldn't cook any food, just give your dog the raw meat and bones....will cure what ails him. I supplement with coconut oil and CBD oil, other than that, all raw meat, bones, eggs, and vegetables.........imagine if your dog was wild, feed what he would find in nature.

Guys, raw diet is not the way to go, for a slew of reasons. Especially for a dog that hasn't grown up with it. Royal Canin is okay... but there are better foods that are less expensive. I suggested Taste of The Wild earlier, and it is what all three of my GSDs eat.

With large breed dogs, like GSDs, a lower protein and fat formula is the way to go. With Taste of The Wild, go with either the Sierra Mountain or the Pacific Stream formulas. About $49 per 28 lb bag.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

Darn George, missed your earlier post. Want to go back and read 'em all anyway. IBS and EPI are treatable, sort of. X-ray not good. Ruger has a very dilated colon (and large intestine). Probably a progressive problem over several months. As I said earlier we have a 100' x 100' enclosure, just open the door and let 'em out. Mid-summer I was on the porch and noticed Ruger had diarrhea.I assumed he'd gotten something maybe the cat dragged in, ground squirrel or the like. Nervous stomach?

But then started noticing the weight loss, progressively worse. Yesterday vet said "I'm at a loss, I've seen a case or two, but not this bad. Frankly don't know what to do." We,ve increased the prednisone and have referral to Virginia Tech Vet Internal Medicine. We see them 11/13 but not holding out much hope.

In the meantime feeding him well with the above suggestions. I'll keep y'all posted.