Thread: Sick Dog Help

Bob, I'm sorry.

Praying for you, your family and Ruger.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

356. And a wakeup.

"Toxic megacolon" (a very large and dilated colon is seen on imaging) happens in people with inflammatory bowel syndromes. I don't know if it happens in dogs. Prednisone, other immune suppressing drugs and perhaps antibiotics are used in large doses. It's very serious but time is of the essence and it can be reversed in people with aggressive therapy.
    Danger if the colon perforates. Good luck.

"Other than the weight loss, and whatever's causing it, you have a very healthy dog." Dr Drury, DVM @Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine

An update, sort of: Dr. Drury repeated much of what was done by my local vet, adding a complete fecal parasite check (for the odd stuff). Also an ultrasound of the abdomen which showed a mottled liver. So they did a needle biopsy of the liver which was negative, mottling probably due to prednisone therapy. Everything was negative except the "Texas panel" which is the test for EPI (See earlier post) and a couple other things, I really think Dr. Drury is leaning toward the EPI, but probably won't have the results from Texas A&M until Tuesday.

Keeping our fingers crossed but I'm a lot more optimistic than I was last Tuesday,
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

What do you base raw diet comment on? I know taste of the wild has been recalled before.

Patrick, don't think your question re: raw diet was directed to me, Due to time constraints, I'll probably continue to feed a kibble but lots of eggs, canned mackerel, and some raw chicken. Fat boy (Shadow, the rescue) is getting lots of green beans! I think his wt gain is due to him cleaning the yard up after Ruger (eating poop).

"Recycling. It's easy to do."
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

356. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    ...lower protein and fat Taste of The Wild formulas. Or something of similar or better quality. Nothing with corn, or grains in general if possible.
    We our mutt Taste of the Wild, getting a different flavor just about every time. And table scraps (meat mostly).

Good luck with your dog.

Have you checked for EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency)? There is a Panel from Texas A&M that is available to vets. We were fighting similar issues, no giardia, no other parasites, etc. but loose stool and she lost 20lbs in 4 months. The regular blood work didn't find anything but the A&M panel found it right away.

70% of cases in doss are GSD's, 20% are Rough Collies. So it's pretty specific to them. It is treatable, but it's a lifelong treatment plan. Basically, the pancreas isn't producing the enzymes needed to break food down to be properly digested.

PM me if you want more info. We have found some good sources and info from GSD owners groups.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the previous EPI posts.
    Last edited by SARGeek; 11-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.

SARGeek: you've pulled one of my tricks, not reading previous posts. LOL!! VA Tech called this afternoon with results from Texas A&M. EPI test came back low normal. as did local send out. Dr. Drury is convinced that is the problem. They also found his B-12 level is low and folate is high. Enzymes have been ordered, B-12 shot on Thursday at local vet and both docs feel folate will be ok after digestion and B-12. Dr. Bays (local) said that EPI is seen mostly in GSD, but usually in pups although is does pop up in adults rarely.

They also think the dilated colon will resolve with the above treatment. Time will tell.

FYI B-12 is in fish, animal products, milk, eggs, etc. Per y'all's advice Ruger has been getting eggs, canned mackerel, raw chicken, etc. Good call guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    SARGeek: you've pulled one of my tricks, not reading previous posts. LOL!! VA Tech called this afternoon with results from Texas A&M. EPI test came back low normal. as did local send out. Dr. Drury is convinced that is the problem. They also found his B-12 level is low and folate is high. Enzymes have been ordered, B-12 shot on Thursday at local vet and both docs feel folate will be ok after digestion and B-12. Dr. Bays (local) said that EPI is seen mostly in GSD, but usually in pups although is does pop up in adults rarely.

They also think the dilated colon will resolve with the above treatment. Time will tell.

FYI B-12 is in fish, animal products, milk, eggs, etc. Per y'all's advice Ruger has been getting eggs, canned mackerel, raw chicken, etc. Good call guys!
    The lack of enzymes for sure no matter what you feed will result in non-digestion of ingested food. Hopefully this does it and Ruger does well and appreciates what you are doing for him.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez