Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any thoughts on the Sig M11-A1?

Going to sell my Legion 229 SAO. It is a fine weapon , but should have gotten Da/Sa.
    Id consider replacing it with another Legion, but it is too nice of a gun for me.
    LGS had a good price on an FDE M11 so i put it on layaway to give time to research it a bit more. The new ones come with the SRT although a bit oversprung. The only downside i see is the small beavertail. The legion had a whale tail, the mk25 is just right and the M11 is the smallest. Takes 229-1 magazines.

Anyone spent much time with these? Got a 507c waiting to go atop of it or one of the mk25s.

What did you not like about the SAO vs DA/SA?
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

I agree...the DA/SA is much more versatile IMHO. I would change to a lighter mainspring primarily.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

from Georgeib...What did you not like about the SAO vs DA/SA?

With an imperfect draw stroke, which i would anticipate, due to surprise and the amount of clothing often worn in my locale, i found that disengaging the safety took attention away from the situation. Basically, i found it easier to work the da/sa than the sao.
    Also, some of our training gets downright dirty and i don’t like the idea of the open hammer channel... not that I’d do that to a legion...but i would a mk 25!
    If all a guy did was square range work, the SAO is an incredible weapon.
    Last edited by Jsavik; 11-02-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Buy it soonest. The M11A/228 are, in my opinion, the best of the P22X series.

I have never been bitten by a SIG hammer, so less beavertail is more.

I'm sure Greg would disagree.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

280. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Buy it soonest. The M11A/228 are, in my opinion, the best of the P22X series.
    I put it on layaway so I could research it a little bit more without losing it. It was on sale for less than GunBroker prices and vendor will probably have a Veterans Day sale. So I should get an even better deal and I’ll rescue it from layaway.

My P228/229 is a frankensig, made of a P229-1 .40 caliber frame and a P228 upper parts kit. By swapping the locking block, you can use the old carbon steel slides from the P228 series, but enjoy the 15-round magazine capacity of the later model P229-1 frames. I essentially did an end-run around buying an M11-A1, as they were not yet released or brand new and prohibitively expensive at the time that I acquired my P-series pistol.

I have a soft spot for a P226, and think they are probably the best DA/SA handgun out there, but they are--to my mind at least--too large for practical carry in any role but a duty holster. That said, I consider the compact P228/M11-A1 sized Sig pistol the best balanced and most elegantly wrought of the excellent P-series designs.

In every thread on the subject, I've brought up that the Sig Short Reset Trigger sear makes for a magical DA/SA experience. If you drop the weight of the 24# main hammer spring down even just to 20#, you can get the DA pull down to something near a buttery 6 pounds. A little bit of rubbing compound and/or a few thousand rounds down the pipe, and the P-series SRT trigger becomes a thing of profound beauty. The sign of a good tool is that it disappears in the hand of a craftsman, and allows their focus to shift from the tool to the work itself. A well worn P-series trigger, especially with SRT, and even more so with the Suarez trigger shoe, is about as close to a perfect DA/SA handgun as I've had the chance to shoot. The weapon turns into a magical wand that puts bullets exactly where you want them, as fast as you care to put them there.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 11-02-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: grammer, usage, formatting
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

I previously ran with a West German P228 (occasionally a brace of them). Choosing Glock over the Sig was a close and difficult call. I dont regret moving to Glock, but I understand why someone would choose the Sig.
    Virtute et Armis

The M11-A1 is essentially a P229 with SRT and without a rail. The only thing I don't like about them from the factory is the short reach trigger and the plastic grips, although both are easily rectified.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

My M11-A1 is the only pistol I've ever sold that I regret selling. It was about as fine a pistol as you can get, without going the custom route.

As others have said, the trigger could use some work, and the grips could be replaced with something nicer, but I honestly liked it the way it was, and neither of those issues are really detrimental.. more of a personal preference I think. .
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.