Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Home Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    That's a cool trap bar, and it's rackable, which is nice if you want to get it overhead. I'm just a bit leery of bailing out of a failed lift if something goes haywire and you need to get out from under the bar, especially off the back, but the open side could help mitigate that.
    Yes, I would be concerned about the bailout if I failed the lift.

I have been using the Safety Squat bar lately because of shoulder pain with low bar squats. Using far less weight and experiencing a lot more lower body soreness with that thing. It’s a bit awkward at first but I’m starting to get used to it.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post

I have been using the Safety Squat bar lately because of shoulder pain with low bar squats. Using far less weight and experiencing a lot more lower body soreness with that thing. It’s a bit awkward at first but I’m starting to get used to it.
    Saw that. It's on my short list. Tell us more about about using it.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

352. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post

Yeah, I've been looking for options for a rack that allows shoulder presses inside the rack with a spotter bar set just below shoulder height. I've seen some that have the top brackets high enough that it would work but they're a bit expensive. I'm also wondering if you could just adjust the top bracket of a cheap rack lower so that it functions as your safety bar, but then it would be too low to allow squatting inside the rack so maybe you would have to have two separate racks...? I always work out alone so it would be ideal to have the same protection for shoulder work as for bench, squat, etc. I don't really want to spend the money on dumbbells right now. But money does solve most problems...

Regarding the SSB, everything I've seen about it seems positive. People generally say what you say--it puts a lot more load on the legs vs the hips, it tries to tip you forward so it stresses the posterior chain a lot more than low back squats, etc. I think I first heard about it from Brian Shaw (4x Strongest Man)--he said it's the only squat bar he uses now because of that. Personally I like the idea of using hip thrusters to target the glutes/hips directly, I find it very difficult to get into the low bar squat position, it makes my shoulders hurt and feels very unnatural.

Excellent, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Saw that. It's on my short list. Tell us more about about using it.
    I'm really liking it so far. It's a bit awkward to rack and store because of the shape but once it is on my shoulders it balances well and I can walk around with it up there with my hands by my sides. Squatting with it feels like an odd mixture of a high bar squat and a front squat. Like Mike135 says, the bar tries to push you forward a bit when coming out of the hole so you have to engage the posterior chain. Tonight I was experimenting with putting a tiny bit of upward pressure on the handles when I start my ascent, seems to force me to use my adductors more. I'll keep playing with that. Still figuring out foot placement as my elbows are hitting my knees at the bottom of the squat.

Overall it's great and there is zero shoulder stress.

Okay, I'll give it a shot soon as the doc clears me for it.

So far, the trap bar, the Swiss bar and the Fatgripz have worked out well.

Brave new world.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

352. And a wakeup.

Great setup. Who manufactured the basic shed/structure?
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    Great setup. Who manufactured the basic shed/structure?
    Can't find the paperwork with the actual manufacturer but it was just one of those buildings sold on the side of the road. A friend and I put in a big window, an AC/Heater, insulated it, put in the interior walls etc. The result is a very sturdy, comfortable gym for way less than half the price I was quoted by a traditional builder.

If anybody is researching the Safety Squat Bar, this option is rather expensive compared to something entry level like from Titan but it gives you flexibility and position options that no other option (that I've seen) offers:

https://store.kabukistrength.net/col...ransformer-bar

Basically, you can adjust the position of the weights to mimic everything between a low back bar position all the way forward to where you might hold a kettlebell away from your body.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    If anybody is researching the Safety Squat Bar, this option is rather expensive compared to something entry level like from Titan but it gives you flexibility and position options that no other option (that I've seen) offers:

https://store.kabukistrength.net/col...ransformer-bar

Basically, you can adjust the position of the weights to mimic everything between a low back bar position all the way forward to where you might hold a kettlebell away from your body.

HMMMM. Might have to look at this.