Default Red Dot Sight Picture Question

I am running a Gen 5- G17 milled by SI with a Trijicon RMR HRS and 1/3 co-witness back up iron sights. I have read everything that I can on WT Forums and Gabe’s eBooks regarding proper use of the RMR system.

Per Gabe’s teaching, I understand how to “look for the iron sights” when presenting, and then “hand-off” by focus on to the Red Dot. Essentially using the iron sights as “training wheels”.

With practice, I have NO PROBLEM presenting, picking up the Red Dot, and making good hits. In fact, I don’t even really see the iron sights anymore, just the Red Dot.

Over time, I have noticed that I easily pick up the Red Dot in the “center” of the RMR, while the iron sights are 1/3 lower co-witness. My line of sight is above the irons, only seeing the Red Dot. I feel like I am “cheating” by picking up the red Dot quickly in the center of the RMR window.

My question is whether or not I should still push myself to fully align rear sight, frontsight, and Red Dot in my line of vision for each shot, still looking thru the iron sights. This would mean viewing my target through the lower 1/3 of the RMR window.

Advantage: my presentation and “alignment” would be identical with or without the RMR.

Dis-Advantage: I easily and quickly pick up the Red Dot in the Center, and would have to work at getting my alignment back down to the lower 1/3. Other disadvantage, looking through the lower 1/3 and through the iron sights is a much more “cluttered” view of my intended target, and the surrounding area.

Thoughts?

What? Why would you need to align the irons if you can see the dot?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

No....ignore the irons sights. Read The Assymetric Dot for further on the blog. Still shoot iron sighted guns now and then, but accept what you see and go with the dot WITHOUT caring at all what the irons look like.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The less clutter, the better.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 14. And a wakeup.

I've shot better groups with my P07 and DI RMR while purposely having the dot in different spots in the lens, but still on the POA, (at 10 yds.) than my M&Ps are capable of shooting with the iron sights properly aligned on the same POA for a group. Just an experiment, but I wondered about it.

Put the dot on the target and fire the pistol. It's like the dot is a magnet for the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    What? Why would you need to align the irons if you can see the dot?
    The only reason would be to keep my presentation/draw/"muscle memory" EXACTLY THE SAME for an RMR-Glock versus a Glock without RMR (irons only).

By picking up the dot in the "center" of the RMR, the gun is actually being held at a slightly different point in space/different cant than it would be if held with irons and red dot co-witnessed, or just irons alone.

Appreciate the answers given.... See the dot, make the hit, keep it simple. Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    No....ignore the irons sights. Read The Assymetric Dot for further on the blog. Still shoot iron sighted guns now and then, but accept what you see and go with the dot WITHOUT caring at all what the irons look like.
    Thanks!

Link mentioned: https://gabesuarez.com/red-dot-shoot...asymmetric-dot