Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The most prolific instructor in my area teaches exclusively NRA courses. He's a ludicrous little character who dresses in some sort of Curious George Man in the Yellow Hat safari outfit every day and spouts every possible awful cliche you can imagine.

When there were resident SI instructors here, and when any competent visiting instructors visit, he disparages them behind their backs and discourages any of his students from even discussing anything with their students much less taking a class from anyone besides himself.

Sounds like he's living in a hell of his own creation.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 14. And a wakeup.

What struck me was how insufferable the vast majority of my classmates were when I took the NRA instructor courses years. It was like I had been transported 30 years into the past when I heard their opinions on mindset, tactics and equipment. And this was before I had even taken any SI classes. They'd be terrified of me if they talked to me now.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Tull View Post
    They'd be terrified of me if they talked to me now.
    And so they should.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 14. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Sounds like he's living in a hell of his own creation.
    Indeed

Before I discovered SI, I had to take a basic ccw class to apply for my VA CCW permit. This was nearly 30 years ago.
    I still remember that the NRA certified instructor told me that if I shot a home invader on my doorstep that I should drag him inside before calling the police.

Fortunately I already knew better, so I merely nodded because I needed his signature on my certificate.
    Glad to hear that the NRA course has improved at least a little bit, but I'd still like to see them emphasize safer gun handling, and put a focus on when not to shoot.
    To get a FL permit requires firing one shot in the general direction of the berm. One.
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

Quote Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
    Before I discovered SI, I had to take a basic ccw class to apply for my VA CCW permit. This was nearly 30 years ago.
    I still remember that the NRA certified instructor told me that if I shot a home invader on my doorstep that I should drag him inside before calling the police.

Fortunately I already knew better, so I merely nodded because I needed his signature on my certificate.
    Glad to hear that the NRA course has improved at least a little bit, but I'd still like to see them emphasize safer gun handling, and put a focus on when not to shoot.
    To get a FL permit requires firing one shot in the general direction of the berm. One.
    The NRA legal training has gotten a lot better since then at least for our club. One of my clubs does teach that course and normally tries to have a lawyer member that specializes in Florida concealed carry law to speak.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez