Default AAR: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting, Oct 12-13, Dayton, TN

This past weekend, I had the privilege, nay the honor, of attending Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting in Dayton, Tennessee. This was taught by the Pope of Pugilism himself, Randy Harris..Ok, Ok, enough pretentiousness!

Day One:

It began with the usual meet and greet, and then Randy gave an overview of the class. We covered firearm safety rules in general and how it translates to the AK. We discussed zeroing, trajectory, and realistic effective ranges for the Russian Tank Driver's sub machine gun. As an avid collector, Randy brought in an amazing assortment of historical AKs for show and tell. I'm certain that the concentration of that much "Evil" in one room, would give a liberal heart palpitations at a significant distance! The visual aids were amazing!

We retired to the range and began zeroing. Randy then covered the efficient manner to run the AK. We started working in static positions, but gradually began moving off the X. This was a new concept to some, but it was old home week to others in the class. The class was introduced to partial and full transfers. Firing 2 shots from every position, and keeping all the shots inside the 3" circle was, indeed, challenging! We worked our way in to all manner of shooting with movement.

Day one ended with a little long distance work.

Day Two:

After stuffing the recycle trashcan at the hotel with empty 7.62x39mm ammo boxes( I wonder what housekeeping will think ;) ) , we were at it again! Classroom time rehashed what we worked on on day one, and phase 2 of show and tell had modern incarnations of the commie gun. This included the AK 100 series, Sigs, and even a bona fide Suchka (minus the giggle switch). Once again, a better gun show than a bodybuilding competition!

We worked on shooting positions and most importantly shooting effectively from cover. We partnered up and, using disassembled rifles, we were able to give downrange feedback to the good guys use of cover. This was invaluable. As Randy said, this gets us using cover instead of standing near it!

We then delved into movement and cover with 2 man teams. Bumping, Leap froging, effective communication, and keeping our rifles fed in a timely manner were taught and put into practice. Take that, static range lovers!! What a hoot!

We ended the day with the first annual Billy Dixon Second Battle of Adobe Walls long range competition. Iron sights shooting the equivalent of a full size IDPA target at 225 yards WAS challenging to put it mildy!

This was my 5th Suarez International Class with Randy. It was EXCELLENT. The depth of knowledge, experience, and ability to convey such, has always been a strong suit of Mr. Harris. Randy's friend and range concierge, AJ, kept the class flowing. Great Job, AJ! Bill Newman's The Ridge Range was a great facility for this class, and others I've attended there with Randy.

One final thought and comment:
    With all the joy and wonderment of more modern rifle designs, why take a Kalashnikov class?

The AK is what brought Gabe Suarez to my attention. It was my first evil rifle love, and buying a DVD, and seeing this man run the dog piss out of one was an attention grabber. I have modern wonder rifles and have trained with them, but not an AK- centric class. It is wise to know how to run whatever is available with great relish. This knowledge is another tool in the tool box. Am I better with an AK than I was 4 days ago?

What do you think??

Mr. Payne has one coming up at month's end. If you are on the fence about it, Jump down, dig the splinters out, and get training!
    Last edited by Sharkbite; 10-15-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    HITS - 3, 8/12/16
    CRG - 3, 8/13 - 8/14/16
    RGF - 2, 7/15 - 7/16/17
    CRG - 5, 7/7 - 7/8/18
    Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting, 10/12 - 10/13/19
    TN/GA/AL Training Group

"40 shots rang out....40 people fell. Patti and the Killer missed each other, but they shot that town to Hell!"
    Cow Patti, Jim Stafford via Randy Harris

Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

The few who dare.....

IMG_1260.JPG
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 10-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Sharkbite did a good job of covering the course activities, so I won't really get into that.

I will say this was my 7th course with Randy Harris (not counting the AMOK! classes he helped host or the TN/GA/AL training group days) and they are just excellent every time. He has a real talent for keeping things educational, interesting, and challenging -- without letting anyone get too far physically or skill-wise over their head where they could become unsafe or extremely frustrated.

No worries about that last part with the group in this class though -- everyone was more than adequately squared away.

There was also a good bit of geography represented with students from Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio, and New Hampshire.

Thanks also to AJ for his help keeping things moving (less down time for range preparation means more time for training) and Bill for the great facility.

I'm happy that Suarez International brought this class around again. I had taken a few years away from formal training and it was this course that pulled me back in.
    Witty signature on backorder.