Default Pistol Ground Fighting - Woodinville, WA Feb 2020

Pistol Groundfighting is back in Washington.

February 8-9, 2020
    Woodinville, WA

We just did this a couple years ago. The class will still cover the fundamentals, but I hope to cover some material we didn't have time for last go around.

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

This class is brutal and fun! Hope to make it for another round.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
    This class is brutal and fun! Hope to make it for another round.
    Have duct tape, will travel.
    dogbandage.jpg
    Last edited by Papa; 10-01-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 19. And a wakeup.

Over time I've gotten several equipment questions for what to bring to a Pistol Ground Fighting course.

Training guns - the majority of work we will do will be with training guns. Blue Guns are the best, they are made in lots of models that closely replicate your every day pistol and will work with your holster. And unlike some of the cheaper rubber guns, they aren't "grabby" on clothing or skin when you try to draw them. The single most important thing you can bring to class, besides your brain, is a good blue gun.
    45A2ECF8-E44A-41F9-873B-22EFF8A49B05.jpg

SIRT guns are also EXCELLENT for this training, if you have one bring it. While I like the metal slides for the weight and durability, the plastic slides are a bit cheaper and work very well for this training. They also have a dummy red dot that you can install if you're so inclined.
    F29FE5A0-3A6C-4AFB-8DD9-1F967775F5F9.jpg

The rubber guns are nice for some hand-to-hand exercises when the gun is already out (they are just a bit softer and thus gentler for some training drills), but they are very poor for practicing the draw under pressure. They also tend to be "generic pistol shape" and thus don't fit any holsters. If you have one, go ahead and bring it but don't go out and buy one just for class.
    FCED95D6-B690-4DB5-9189-D67BE3F8709E.jpg

The class requirements also include a "training barrel insert". What is that?

Bladetech makes some yellow plastic training barrels for a few different models (Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, etc.). These are sometimes hard to find but they work very well for this training. I recommend taking a dremel or sandpaper to the muzzle end to round the edges off.
    05486FA4-246A-412A-B1DB-E778629CF467.jpg
    0BEFCB94-4997-4E09-A34D-DD9BF17A0DC5.jpg

Of course Bladetech doesn't make training barrels for everything, so your best bet is a barrel blocker. I have several makes but the one I like best is below. These are made by caliber and are thus more or less universal. If you bring a couple guns I recommend buying one for each gun and trimming the blocker so it extends just past your muzzle (and again, round the edges for your partner's sake). We want everyone to be able to see that the barrel is blocked with a quick glance. These are very reasonable, don't cheap out and buy one of the lesser brands which are made with a more brittle material that can peen and then get stuck in your barrel (ask me how I know).
    9C6033B7-6532-47C2-8DA9-4861483F4AB2.jpg

Another extremely useful product for this class is the "TRT Tap Rack Dry Fire Safety Training Aid". That's a mouthful for this tiny little product, but they are excellent for dry practice, for pistol kata practice, and of course the PGF class. While you can simply remove the follower from an old mag (some mags are more expensive than others), if you don't have a magazine that you want to sacrifice for training you can use one of these inserts. These are universal and allow you to rack the slide without locking it on an empty chamber. And though we use barrel blockers in class to ensure no live round can be chambered, this is an extra level of security knowing that your magazine is also free of anything that goes bang.
    A2A2CD90-4273-46C5-96E2-6EAC503928F4.jpg
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 10-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

I will almost certainly be there for this one.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

I'm looking through my February schedule, which is already pretty packed, but contemplating getting out to this.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Booked the class!

I have a full weight ASP red gun G19 with 19 and 17 training mags and a well-used SIRT pistol that doesn’t hold zero... I’ll order some a training barrel.

Excited to get up there.

KWTL in November in AZ and PGF in February in WA... 2 trips out of the PRK in a 4-month period. Good stuff.

Just need to convince the wife to MOVE!
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    Booked the class!

I have a full weight ASP red gun G19 with 19 and 17 training mags and a well-used SIRT pistol that doesn’t hold zero... I’ll order some a training barrel.

Excited to get up there.

KWTL in November in AZ and PGF in February in WA... 2 trips out of the PRK in a 4-month period. Good stuff.

Just need to convince the wife to MOVE!
    Excellent! Looking forward to training with you in February. And KWTL is a superb class, as well.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Trying to find the ASP training barrels. Appears discontinued and out of stock.

After checking the SI store again just in case, found one from a company called Morgan Timing Systems. Ordered it. Will advise on fit/function after receipt.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES