Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MRI results in. Looks like someone threw a handful of gravel into my shoulder joint--the arthritic cysts--and there is no room between joint and socket. Substantial degeneration since April of last year.

This in combination with a massive flareup of carpal tunnel pain in the left forearm convinced me to schedule shoulder replacement in less than a month's time. And to have a cortisone injection in the wrist today.

I'm told 6-8 months before I can go back on the street.

Well, shucks. Looks like the "C" word until I heal sufficiently. And lifting left handed.

FIDO.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 16. And a wakeup.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Dynamic is right. Looking good, boss. Thought you were gonna do the splits there for a second.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 16. And a wakeup.

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Hoooollly Frick, if I could move like that...

Time to get back on my balcony to do forms. And to learn that one. Way better than the Palgwe forms I learned in TKD, although the Pinans are nothing to sneeze at. I saw some elements of the Pinans in that, along with a couple sequences that reminded me of TKD's Koryo (which I happen to rather like).

Moving "like that" is what Kata does for you other than any martial applications. And knowing how to use all of those things to fuck up an adversary is the core purpose behind it all. Both together...priceless.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Moving "like that" is what Kata does for you other than any martial applications. And knowing how to use all of those things to fuck up an adversary is the core purpose behind it all. Both together...priceless.
    Good reminder to keep up that movement work. Now I know what I'm doing tonight, after I get my homework done.

To the second point: I've noticed that a lot of the much older Okinawan forms seem almost as though they take what is intuitive (like the hip toss followed by dropping punch, which just seems to me like something you would do when executing a hip toss) and then systematizes it to make it more effective. I keep noticing the showmanship built into some of my TKD forms, by contrast.