Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN!

This from the FB of my "brother from another mother" Marc Fleischmann

One of the sayings that always motivates me is by Clint Eastwood who was asked how he stays young. He says “ Never let the old man in”. I have always lived by that saying!

marc-fleischmann.jpg

I was just at my 40 year high school reunion. At one point I recall standing there with my two "dates" (my wife and her best friend who accompanied us) and thinking as I scanned the crowd, "Are we really that old?" In truth, I am a year older than most of these people having repeated 4th grade due to not having a sufficient command of English to get by.

I had seen many of these people on Facebook in the past few weeks but in person it was a shock. Now I fully understand the ravages of time and the wear and tear that a body endures, but the things that we can control, we must control. Those being daily habits, diet, health maintenance, etc. And other matters such as taking personal appearance and the "command presence" you present seriously.

I have written about this in the past. Are we really so different if we do these things? Apparently we are. At one point a former classmate walked up as we were walking off the dance floor and grabbed my midsection, "Holy shit...its real". He referred to the Facebook pic of me earlier in the month. He thought I had photoshopped the six pack. No...it is quite real.

This morning I saw the image and quote shown above. Marc is a former LAPD SIS operator, and in his eight decade. He clearly has not let the old man in. Compromise, lack of focus, complacency, all conspire to crack that door open and let excellence slip away. Let us all endeavor to keep that door closed and not let the old man in.

reunion-21.jpg
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Skol!
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Ha! That's what everyone says when I come to the door.

My 50th in three years.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 16. And a wakeup.

I fight it every day and as a consequence of that look much younger than my 59 years, and can outdo most younger men in fitness tasks. I’ll stop when I’m dead.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

As I see frail old people around me who think they have eaten healthy their whole life, I'm starting to wonder just how much damage is avoidable if you ignore popular concepts of "healthy". I'm fascinated by the carnivore movement--it's causing me to question everything I used to think about vegetables.

Obviously exercise is important, but I wonder how much people realize that their weak bones and teeth could have been created by eating low fat, lots of milk, lots of raw vegetables, lots of "healthy" grains, etc. My working theory in all of this is that anything that is difficult to digest should not be eaten regularly. I won't try to expand on that here, but just to say that even the people who think they have been healthy have probably not been anywhere near as healthy as they thought they were.

I can't wait to see what I look like at 80 compared to what I see around me!

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    As I see frail old people around me who think they have eaten healthy their whole life, I'm starting to wonder just how much damage is avoidable if you ignore popular concepts of "healthy". I'm fascinated by the carnivore movement--it's causing me to question everything I used to think about vegetables.

Obviously exercise is important, but I wonder how much people realize that their weak bones and teeth could have been created by eating low fat, lots of milk, lots of raw vegetables, lots of "healthy" grains, etc. My working theory in all of this is that anything that is difficult to digest should not be eaten regularly. I won't try to expand on that here, but just to say that even the people who think they have been healthy have probably not been anywhere near as healthy as they thought they were.

I can't wait to see what I look like at 80 compared to what I see around me!
    I’ve already lived long enough for most of the things I thought were true to be proven false. Notable examples include eating low fat,less protein as one ages,cardio over weight training.
    I think if you do the opposite of whatever the medical profession advocates,you’ll be better off .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The fundamental demand of warfare is killing.You kill your enemies until they surrender or until they're all dead".-Lt.Col Ralph Peters

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    but I wonder how much people realize that their weak bones and teeth could have been created by eating low fat, lots of milk, lots of raw vegetables, lots of "healthy" grains, etc. My working theory in all of this is that anything that is difficult to digest should not be eaten regularly.
    Yup. People on the internet snark at that "vertical diet" guy (probably not to his face, though ) but I bet he is a lot closer to being right than the "food pyramid" people.
    Last edited by Gunstore Commando; 09-30-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Thread inspired me to lift this morning. Dumbbell bench, trap deadlifts, bent over rows, curls, all with neutral grip. Still learning on the trap bar--finished with two at 271. 300 is within reach, 400 the goal.

Then off for the MRI. F### old age.

1, 1, 16. And a wakeup.

Then off for the MRI. F### old age Papa.

I am old enough to remember when getting "effed back felt really good.

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    I am old enough to remember when getting "effed back felt really good. Choirboy
    Now effed over--that's another story.

1, 1, 16. And a wakeup.