Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ghost ring problem/ question

I have a Mossberg 590 that I use for home defense and camp defense. It had the standard ghost ring sights that are good for OO buck. The problem is they will not elevate enough for my choice of slugs. I use Brennneke KO slugs and they group good enough out to close to 100 yards but not enough elevation. I have tried a rail with a sight attached. Well that shot to high. Any other solutions? I am considering a red dot but dont have a lot of money. Any experance with sig red dots on shotgun? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

if you have a dovetailed front, just get a new front that allows you to adjust within your needs.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Might try a different brand of slugs. That would be the cheapest and easiest option. I know different slugs shoot different out of my slug barrels.
    Last edited by Ragsbo; 09-25-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    if you have a dovetailed front, just get a new front that allows you to adjust within your needs.
    If it is shooting too low careful filing of the front sight will also raise the point of aim. But I would be careful prior to doing metal removal by filing. You do not say how low. How is it at 50 yards.
    I am not sure how others do it but I do not need or want a ghost ring for buckshot use. At one hundred yards with slugs yes I would want a ghost ring or something serving the same purpose.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

If the slugs are hitting high, you want a taller front sight. If they’re hitting low, you want a shorter front sight, or filing your current one down will serve the same purpose. This is assuming you’ve run out of adjustment. My 870 was hitting about 2” high with slugs when I ran out of adjustment with my XS ghost ring rear. So I replaced the XS front with a Trijicon Bright and Tough front and the problem was solved.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    If it is shooting too low careful filing of the front sight will also raise the point of aim. But I would be careful prior to doing metal removal by filing. You do not say how low. How is it at 50 yards.
    I am not sure how others do it but I do not need or want a ghost ring for buckshot use. At one hundred yards with slugs yes I would want a ghost ring or something serving the same purpose.
    weird i didn't mention filing anything. their are multiple replacements for mossberg dovetail front sights

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    weird i didn't mention filing anything. their are multiple replacements for mossberg dovetail front sights
    But that would take like $20, when you could just spend hours filing and checking your POI with your slugs and run the risk of having to replace it anyway because you screwed up. Why would you want to do that? (sarc)
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    But that would take like $20, when you could just spend hours filing and checking your POI with your slugs and run the risk of having to replace it anyway because you screwed up. Why would you want to do that? (sarc)
    stop it Greg, you're making sense

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI

Everyone knows you should never file a sight

its too slow.

Use the dremel.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

I love posts that include, "I don't have a lot of money".
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters