Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Is a 5.56 from an 18 inch barrel really that much louder than a pistol or shotgun indoors indoors?
    It is comparable to a shotgun and much louder than a pistol. Seriously...if decibels are more important that effects on target, I think someone has missed the point. On top of that, I would prefer to NOT have to do CQB with an 18" barrel.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Real noise starts when the 5.56 rolls out of a barrel less than, say, 14.5." Having been indoors without hearing protection when a bunch of 10.5s were barking, including mine, I can testify that no eardrums were ruptured.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 12. And a wakeup.

Thanks for the informative responses! Every one on the internet has an opinion about this, but few have experienced it. Refreshing to hear from those that have done it, not just read about it. If the 18 inch barrel question seemed odd, it's because I was actually referring to my Tavor, not an AR

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Real noise starts when the 5.56 rolls out of a barrel less than, say, 14.5." Having been indoors without hearing protection when a bunch of 10.5s were barking, including mine, I can testify that no eardrums were ruptured.
    I know. Loud, yes. The ruptured ears and permanently damaged hearing is another gun myth that keeps getting told over and over until people believe it.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Anecdotal, but firing my 9” .300 BLK with supers indoors without earpro is easier on the ears than doing the same with a 16” 5.56. Less of a sharp “CRACK,” and more of a low-pitched “BOOM.” I think that’s what makes the difference.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.