Default FIVE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE THE SHOTGUN

tac13_n.jpg

FIVE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE THE SHOTGUN

The first one was so contraversial I wanted to keep it going. We showed that the reasons the shotgun fell from prominence were simply silly fashion choices which have driven the world of weapons since I can recall, and the reality that smaller and weaker people have been brought into the uniformed world for the last twenty years. So here are my five reasons why you should purposely choose the shotgun over other weapons.

1). If your reality-based expectation of conflict is inside of twenty five yards, like most confrontations in the urban world are, then the shotgun is well inside it's niche. No private citizen gunfight, or even a non-SWAT police gunfight, is going to go much beyond a few rounds in the real world. How do we know this? Because we stay on top of actual events versus movies. Moreover, inside that distance interval the shotgun is easier to hit the threat with, and more likely to kill that threat, or at least incapacitate it, even with a peripheral hit. More on that momentarily.

2). If you want to utterly destroy a threat, conclusively and completely, even with a less than perfect shot, the shotgun should be your choice. We spoke with a few medical professionals that have seen more firearm injuries than most of the readers here. Head shots are largely, with few exceptions, fatal. Torso shots with pistols, if attended in time, are survivable. Rifle wounds less so, nut many are still survivable. They hate treating shotgun wounds as shotguns destroy flesh and are far less survivable than other gunshot wounds. So in short, due to its nature, a head shot with a shotgun is easier to achieve than with other weapons, and if all that can be obtained due to events is a peripheral hit, the damage that hit delivers will often be sufficient to stop the threat.

3). If you are physically strong and can wield the modern battle axe, you should select the shotgun. The shotgun is not for the frail. Much can be done to make it less demanding physically such as the selection of a semi auto over the pump action (a trade off), porting the barrel, selecting reduced recoil ammo, or drpping from 12 ga to 20 ga. But it is still a physically demanding weapon not suggested for those lacking physicality. But if you are more spartan than dad-bod, the shotgun will give you options other weapons will not.

4). If your reality-based expectation of conflict includes reduced light, multiple adversaries, or the potential for rapidly changing dynamic circumstances where the time interval may not allow the use of traditional marksmanship principles, the shotgun is for you. The naturally expanding pattern is an asset of the weapon and should not be changed. All modern ammunition will yield a much tighter pattern as it is. And yet that natural spread will allow you to get a hit on target that would likely be impossible under the same circumstances if you were using a rifle or SMG. The real world is rarely as stable and predictable as the shooting range.

5). If you don't give a rat's ass what the tattooed youtube hero shooting 100 rounds through a used car says you should have - If you are unfortunate enough to live in a state that ignores the rights of man - or if you simply want the deadliest efficiency possible for the real (not theoretical) problem at hand, you may want to grab a shotgun.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

In the words of Paul Howe on shotguns "You cannot sew up Hamburger."

From the SAS story another member posted:

'One of the breach team opened fire with a shotgun and shot dead three before they could get a shot off. Another two terrorists appeared from a building and he neutralised them as well.

'Several other terrorists emerged from the building but immediately surrendered and began panicking as two of the bodies didn’t have heads – they thought they were about to be executed.'
    I think that tells you a lot right there...
    Armed Puritan

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

3). If you are physically strong and can wield the modern battle axe, you should select the shotgun. The shotgun is not for the frail. Much can be done to make it less demanding physically such as the selection of a semi auto over the pump action (a trade off),
    What does one give up with semi auto over pump action? Reliability?

If, for example, the V3 Tac 13 ever becomes readily available and proves as reliable as touted, is there still something given up for the softer recoil and any advantage in quickness between rounds fired?

The short version is that you can run a pump with equivalent speed, but you can run the auto one-handed--if you can provide enough resistance against recoil to insure proper functioning.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 14. And a wakeup.

So some discussion on this.

An out of the box pump action will generally be more reliable than an out of the box semi auto. Generally. What I like about Remingtons over Mossbergs is that they can be tuned up to a high level whereas Mossbergs cannot. And please don;t insult my intelligence by telling me they do not need to be. A semi requires a firm hold and solid surface to rest upon...ie., the shoulder, for reliable function. I wonder how much the "one handed use" is another one of those imagined theoretical events (like the private citizen shooting a terrorist off a rooftop at 200 yards). Not saying it has never happened but selecting a weapon over such a rare event seems strange to me...kinda like selecting a revolver and eschewing all semi autos because somebody somewhere had to press the muzzle into a rib cage one handed during a ground fight in a jungle. I don't know. Does anyone have tangible examples...more than just one (one is an anomaly...I want to se several before I concern myself with it) you heard about third hand at a bar...about a man needing to use one hand to fire a shotgun or rifle?

In truth, you select a weapon fr its reliability WITH QUALITY COMBAT ANTI PERSONNEL AMMO...not for its reliability with shit ammo. A Suarez Supermatch will run all day with quality factory ammo but will probably choke with Wolff Shit Loads or Bubba Assscratcher's Economy reloads. Who cares...if you will be carrying that in the weapon and I knew, I would simply refuse to sell anything to you in disgust.

A semi auto 12 ga with quality ammo can be just as reliable but you need to put in the time to select and test. A pump you can unbox, load and leave it. Also the action of a semi sometimes has its peculiarities. The Benelli for example. I recall the horrified faces of the Benelli engineers when I literally shook out the chambers shell in a Super 90 and then showed that the operator would then fire an ampty chamber. And that a buttstroke, or any hard strike to the front or rear of the weapon could induce that malfunction. Seveeral SWAT units in So Cal had a serious debate over whether the Benelli or the Remington 11-87 would be chosen.

In the era of Tac-13 and Tac 14s, there is little reason to select a full sized 18" shotgun. They have their place but for indoors, CQB or around vehicles, a 14" barrel is far more useful. And yes...brace those bitches!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters