Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost 55

Default Almost 54

I'm turning 54 tomorrow and I thought I'd post a bit about my progress. About two years ago I got as high as 262 at 6' tall, pre-diabetes, pre-hypertension, felt like and looked like shit. I decided I needed to get my act together. Worked on my diet, continued my lifting and arm-wrestling, started riding my bike and running short distances. The weight has been off for about a year. I've been about 215 for a year now, my numbers have continued to improve. I completed my first 1/2 marathon in April and I plan to run a full this Nov. I always wanted to run a marathon just once in my life. We'll see what I think after the event. I generally run 2-3 days during the week 3-5 miles and a long run on Saturdays. I have a-w practice tomorrow and will bike a quick 10 miles tomorrow.

On a side note, I feel stronger, much more confident and I definitely get more female attention....life is good.
    Last edited by Soren; 09-15-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    Crush your enemies...

Congratulations on turning things around, well done.

On the marathon, you'd better up the mileage! I've run 4 marathons and as a general rule I did 10 miles a day 5 days a week and 15-20 one weekend a month. Good luck with it.

I better proof read my age...54 tomorrow. Yes, we are ramping up the mileage. I am a mentor with a local running group. It is a 0-5k program, so we are doing 2.25 miles next week on Tues. & Thurs. After I finish with them, I do a 5k on my own, just to get some mileage in at my own pace. I am also picking things up on Sundays and Monday. You were putting in some good miles. You are a bigger guy too...very good.
    Crush your enemies...

Great job man. What’s the diet look like??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of protein ie. venison, beef, chicken and fish. Veggies...spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli. Plenty of eggs and bacon. I don't eat too much fruit and have cut down on the carbs. I make an occasional shake with banana, blue berries,straw berries, ground chia seeds, maca, chlorella, protein powder, cinnamon and some milk.
    Crush your enemies...

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    I better proof read my age...54 tomorrow. Yes, we are ramping up the mileage. I am a mentor with a local running group. It is a 0-5k program, so we are doing 2.25 miles next week on Tues. & Thurs. After I finish with them, I do a 5k on my own, just to get some mileage in at my own pace. I am also picking things up on Sundays and Monday. You were putting in some good miles. You are a bigger guy too...very good.
    Happy Birthday!

I'll be 56 on Tuesday the 17th. Been working out steadily since I was fourteen. When I see the condition of the people I grew up with I am so grateful that I took an interest in exercise and healthy diet at a young age.

Nice job! Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

I've always done some kind of exercise, but after my divorce I had a few years where I didn't get much sleep, walked everywhere with a bottle of coke in my hand and generally neglected my physical being. I did put a lot of time into shooting point blank/1000yds with some very good instructors....good stress relief.

Have a happy 56th!

Thank you guys!
    Crush your enemies...

Age is just a number. Im 59. I have lifted and ran off and on for almost 40 years. Currently doing the 5x5 lift program
    ( 5x5 Squat, Bench, DL, Military press, hammer curls ) three times a week, with a high protein diet and some perscription "anabolic accessorys".
    Keep lifting, you'll really be glad you did !

That is tremendous progress. Congratulations!