Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes...those are engineered to 'weather the storm'. Easier to shoot a length of det cord( or a line of tow chain) over the wires. Bear in mind that the energy these things have will vaporize most nuisance attempts. Any attack of this scale better include a wide margin, or distance, for the perpetrator.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I was thinking of using one to deploy some sort of conductor or cable. What I am talking about are the bigger lines. Likely easier to simply put demolition charges on the pylon directly. Take a large amount of explosive to take those down.

During our last great hurricane, Ivan 2004, for the pensacola area, my local area was without power for a while even after the lines got put back up. A power substation went down from the storm and it took awhile to fix it. I think between the power companies and the feds that all of this has all been greatly improved. They are likely still vulnerable to rifle fire.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    You're still thinking too small scale.

Add automation and programming to this and a fleet of drones could be programmed to follow flight paths to do a variety of nefarious things: no army of pilots necessary.

THAT is what could be truly scary.

Agreed. I was thinking more surgical strikes, but this opens up a whole Pandora's box, doesn't it? When you consider the sophistication of fleet programming the possibilities grow exponentially.

And while I agree that the larger fixed wing drones are attractive in taking down the infrastructure, industry and even aircraft, I'm more of a "take it to the people" kind of thinker. Imagine a fleet of incendiary/explosive laden buggers swarming the audience of a concert (like Vegas) or a live-broadcast sporting event (like the Super Bowl in the novel and movie Black Sunday). Terrorism thrives on publicity and with 100 million Super Bowl viewers there wouldn't even have to be all that much real damage or serious injuries (perception becomes reality) to put the whole nation in a panic; politicians would get involved and the gov't would spend billions of $$$ on crazy security measures and put severe restrictions on civil rights, commerce and authorize even more domestic surveillance. It's a win-win for the bad guys when you fill the hearts and minds with such fear.

In this demonstration 2,000 drones in use, but just a few hundred or even a few dozen would do the job. But you know, go big or go home, right? The possibilities are crazy.

Great. I'm not all that crazy about crowds, but now I'm even less inclined to go out in public.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-15-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Drones are already regulated in the USA but all of it is compliance based. I am aware of one college project that was a drone that could carry a 100 pound payload. Done by a bunch of kids. It doesn't take much of an imagination about how a drone could be used for evil. The reality of the world today, coupled with the declining quality of western manhood makes it inevitable that more and more will eventually be government controlled. We can gripe and complain and whatever, but the reality is that those wanting to be left alone are far outnumbered by those who want to be taken care of. And the latter number includes Conservatives as well as bible thumping Christians.

I see it inevitable that Americans will see more restrictions on freedom...and they will be happy to welcome them.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Great. I'm not all that crazy about crowds, but now I'm even less inclined to go out in public.
    Really? So what are we going to become then...recluses behind walls in some remote compund in the desert? Not for me kids.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Really? So what are we going to become then...recluses behind walls in some remote compund in the desert? Not for me kids.
    EXACTLY !!! Even though I'm not the most socially engaging individual, I, like most, do frequent restaurants/ cafes almost daily, do wander into an occasional retail outlet, love walking through the city (yes that includes NY and greater LA), getting on a last minute spur of the moment flight to Barcelona for a few days, or Montevideo or London. I'm not limiting my enjoyment of life due to the miscreants and subnormal political troglodytes who do reside in ghettos, caves, and assorted excrement filled environments. Do I take precautions and have preparations for social unrest while traveling or conducting daily affairs, of course, but I'm not hiding and will enjoy a great meal at Ostaja!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Haha! I really need to work on my "sarcasm mode."

Though as I grow older I do prefer more intimate company, but yes, you're right. Don't become a prisoner in your life.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-15-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Trump: U.S. 'locked and loaded' for response to Saudi attack

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/09/15/trump-us-locked-and-loaded-for-response-to-saudi-attack/23813419/
    President Donald Trump said the U.S. had reason to believe it knew who was behind the attack — his secretary of state had blamed Iran the previous day — and assured his Twitter followers that "we are ... locked and loaded" depending on verification and were waiting to hear from the Saudis as to who they believe was behind the attack and "under what terms we would proceed!"
    The tweets followed a National Security Council meeting at the White House that included Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper.
    Hours earlier, senior U.S. officials said satellite imagery and other intelligence showed the strike was inconsistent with one launched from Yemen, where Iranian-backed Houthi rebels had claimed responsibility
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Transmission lines are built pretty stout...they've been replacing wooden poles and upgrading transmission lines in my AO for years now. Would take a vehicle with thousands of pounds of mass, plus airspeed, "to cut the line". CalFire, however, has deployed drones that can carry up to 400 chemical spheres, which are used to ignite back fires and scheduled burns. Dead vegetation does not equal an oil refinery, but the tech exists.
    I was thinking more about attacking substations and transformers , not the power lines them selves. I know the power yards at the nuc facility I worked out would have caught heck if drones were flown into them and hit the right spots
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

There was a time when the cartels used ultralights to ferry dope across the border low and slow. Tech is cheap and probably would'nt be that hard to automate. Not that you would have to if the jihadi was paradise minded.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time