Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Any upcoming videos for shooting drones out of the air with RMR pistols or the shotgun?

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Saw a statement from sec state Pompeo laying the blame on Iran and US intelligence reports the the drones originated out of southern Iraq. To me, this would imply fixed wing drones due to the distances involved. Even large commercially available quadcopter type drones wouldn't have the range and load capacity that would be required to fly fire bombs across the Gulf. Think cruise missiles.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    Even that isn't difficult to do, the software for that is also open source. Look on YouTube for drone flashmobs
    Exactly my point.

You would not need any payload if you could fly it into some of the electrical grid, the drone itself would short it out and cause all kinds of havoc
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    You would not need any payload if you could fly it into some of the electrical grid, the drone itself would short it out and cause all kinds of havoc
    Is it possible to use a drone to do in the the interstate 250,000 volt transmission lines?
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Annotation 2019-09-14 183936.png

The suicide UAV that hit the pipelines was probably something like this system that the Huthis have used previously.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...rcraft_id=2155

Transmission lines are built pretty stout...they've been replacing wooden poles and upgrading transmission lines in my AO for years now. Would take a vehicle with thousands of pounds of mass, plus airspeed, "to cut the line". CalFire, however, has deployed drones that can carry up to 400 chemical spheres, which are used to ignite back fires and scheduled burns. Dead vegetation does not equal an oil refinery, but the tech exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Is it possible to use a drone to do in the the interstate 250,000 volt transmission lines?

Originally Posted by barnetmill

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Transmission lines are built pretty stout...they've been replacing wooden poles and upgrading transmission lines in my AO for years now. Would take a vehicle with thousands of pounds of mass, plus airspeed, "to cut the line". CalFire, however, has deployed drones that can carry up to 400 chemical spheres, which are used to ignite back fires and scheduled burns. Dead vegetation does not equal an oil refinery, but the tech exists.
    Can drones be used to short the wires out. The standard energized line where it goes to the transformer can be temporary knocked out by bird or squirrel and that is only 7,000 V. Can something similar be done to high voltage wires of much higher voltages with a drone?

Yes...given the wing span. Circuits are protected by 're-closers'...kind of a circuit breaker that keeps trying. With the enormous financial judgments laid upon utilities post wild fires, they are strengthening their infrastructure to prevent, uhm, errant sparks. The construction of the power line conductors themselves is often aluminum clad steel reinforced(ACSR), so strong enough to withstand winds, ice loading and the electrical energy flowing through it. Our local utility has installed over 400 micro weather stations, and monitor the temp, wind and humidity constantly...If they reach a pre determined threshold, off goes that circuit until they feel conditions are safe enough. Annoying in the extreme for my rural neighbors who have well pumps. Good business for this stand by generator installer!
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Originally Posted by barnetmill

Can drones be used to short the wires out. The standard energized line where it goes to the transformer can be temporary knocked out by bird or squirrel and that is only 7,000 V. Can something similar be done to high voltage wires of much higher voltages with a drone?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Yes...given the wing span. Circuits are protected by 're-closers'...kind of a circuit breaker that keeps trying. With the enormous financial judgments laid upon utilities post wild fires, they are strengthening their infrastructure to prevent, uhm, errant sparks. The construction of the power line conductors themselves is often aluminum clad steel reinforced(ACSR), so strong enough to withstand winds, ice loading and the electrical energy flowing through it. Our local utility has installed over 400 micro weather stations, and monitor the temp, wind and humidity constantly...If they reach a pre determined threshold, off goes that circuit until they feel conditions are safe enough. Annoying in the extreme for my rural neighbors who have well pumps. Good business for this stand by generator installer!
    I was thinking of terrorists using one to deploy some sort of conductor or cable. What I am talking about are the bigger lines. Likely easier to simply put demolition charges on the pylon directly. Take a large amount of explosive to take those down.

Last edited by barnetmill; 09-15-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: make it clear it was terrorists and not me lol to the feds