Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone here familiar with the Sig V-Crown ammo?

Does anyone here have any experience with the Sig V-Crown ammo? I've heard good things about it, but not sure how well it compares performance-wise to the Federal HST I carry now:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/E9MMA3-20
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

It's comparable to other premium JHP's. I carried it for a while when the LGS stocked it. Very accurate too.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-124-...rounds#geltest

"Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTA View Post
    It's comparable to other premium JHP's. I carried it for a while when the LGS stocked it. Very accurate too.

I had the same experience. I briefly had a 40 and this was the only quality HP at the store that day. Shot great in my 226 which is, of course, my primary concern.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Same as everyone else. Functions great, very accurate. I havent seen any aars on it so I cant speak to field performance.

Lead core, jacketed rounds balance the three terminal performance parameters close to equally among premium brands. Velocity; expansion; penetration. Sig V-Crown has that going for it, as do the others.

Penetration of 15-18” is usually achieved by +P velocity and an average expansion of the average weight bullet. Expansion really effects penetration; even more than velocity. Higher velocity often introduces quicker expansion which can actually decrease penetration. Most of these bullets approach 1200 FPS, expand by a little less than 50%, and penetrate 15-18”.

Take a look at the all-copper expanding Barnes Bullets Tac XP. Instead of mushrooming lead and losing some mass in the process, concentric rotating copper petals (propellers) peel outward to about double the original projectile’s size but still manage to penetrate over 12” with a much larger wound cavity. The petals create less drag as they spin than the lead mushroom, and they lose less weight (usually none). Straight tracking and permanent large cavities are definitely desirable features. The 115 grn 9mm weight is easy to carry and shoot compared to heavier bullets that perform similarly.

Barnes patent has expired so there are copiers learning what Barnes already knows. I carry the TacXP over the other average premium bullet/manufacturers because there is enough performance difference for me. Check the LG comparisons.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Here is a link to my quest for more accurate
    ammo for my SI Glocks. One of the samples
    I shot was V Crown. If you don't want to read
    the whole thread, look in the middle of page 2.

And this was before I added an SI barrel to that
    17. I need to shoot more groups to compare.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-my-RMR-d-17-4
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

If you are looking for accurate carry ammo, here’s one I use. SI used to sell the same bullet loaded by a different manufacturer.

60E1B42E-A04C-4BB1-9466-1CF457C6540A.jpg

Two hands, otherwise unsupported, 10 yards, 10 rounds, <1.25” center to center, except for one flyer.

Barnes TAC-X 115 grn 9mm.

Same ammo. Seven yards, five rounds. [Image upside down for some reason]

243368B1-E0FE-40ED-8FD5-44AF40A90BAA.jpeg

When ammo helps me shoot like this I stop looking.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

Used sig ammo for several years. Mostly for bear and hog hunting guns. Really great expansion. Bullet gets plenty deep but doesn't usually exit. I have shot cases of the 44 mag v crown in lever guns,pump,semi auto and even have a double rifle with 16" Barrell regulated for them. Seen dozens of big animals killed with the 44 v crown. They just work.

Honestly...it is 2020.

You are going to limit what you carry for shooting faces based on what Bubba at your LGS has on sale? Really?

How about finding out what is BEST and then buying it in large numbers from ammunitiontogo, or Natchez or any of a myriad of online stores that will sell you what you want rather than what they could get cheap from their distributors?
    Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 02-01-2020 at 08:08 AM.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Black Hills has it as well. Seriously...with all the offerings from ammunition companies, buying "SIG Ammo" just doesn't make sense to me. Who loads it for them. I know SIG doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
    If you are looking for accurate carry ammo, here’s one I use. SI used to sell the same bullet loaded by a different manufacturer.

60E1B42E-A04C-4BB1-9466-1CF457C6540A.jpg

Two hands, otherwise unsupported, 10 yards, 10 rounds, <1.25” center to center, except for one flyer.

Barnes TAC-X 115 grn 9mm.

Same ammo. Seven yards, five rounds. [Image upside down for some reason]

243368B1-E0FE-40ED-8FD5-44AF40A90BAA.jpeg

When ammo helps me shoot like this I stop looking.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters