Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I can’t take credit for the idea. I stumbled across a thread on another forum where the poster stated the newer MCS forend was designed specifically to accommodate two Photon Microlights, I assume for illumination while breaching. So since I’ve been searching for a less cumbersome lighting solution than what is typically put on a shotgun, I immediately hunted down one of these forends (not a simple task; I discovered Remington won’t sell them to us lowly Civi’s, and even many L.E. Dealers have trouble getting them. Go figure.) and a pair of the aforementioned lights. The shorter action bar assembly came with the forend, and I happened to have a couple screws that fit perfectly, and here we are. I think this setup is actually a bit lighter than the Hogue or Magpul forends I have. And if you still prefer the Magpul forend, I found that it’s easy enough to bolt the Photons to the M-Lok slots with the right hardware. As for me, I think I’m going to stick with the MCS assembly. It’s light, grippy even while wet, and comfortable.
    Last edited by MesserMan; 09-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

That MCS assembly would be nice to have available on the SI 870 smorgasbord, or as a separate part sold here.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 12. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    That MCS assembly would be nice to have available on the SI 870 smorgasbord, or as a separate part sold here.
    Mine is getting NP3 and Shopmonkey’s awesome stipple job. Gonna be my go to heavy blaster when it’s done.

Trouble is this MCS stuff is really hard to get. I got lucky finding a spare foreend.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Found one and ordered it. I won’t post a link but it’s a Canadian company that let me hit the “go to US site” button and had a few in stock.

Guess it’s time to get the internals NP3’d on the other 870 with these new action bars.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Dang, what a nifty idea. I really like the Magpul fore-end on mine though. Any MLOK compatible options? I think they could fit some slight more powerful bulbs on that platform without sacrificing much diameter.
    If one doesn´t have a pure heart, heaven will never permit any pleasurable times.

The forend is a cost item, and will not work on a regular set of action bars. You need the custom action bars as well. After all is done, it will not be that cost effective an option. Nifty, yes...but what price nifty?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The forend is a cost item, and will not work on a regular set of action bars. You need the custom action bars as well. After all is done, it will not be that cost effective an option. Nifty, yes...but what price nifty?
    Agreed.

I think the MCS foreend is a cool piece of kit but it's an expensive way to go for a regular 870.

If these lights work out, I think a better solution would be finding the right hardware to mount them to the Magpull foreend.

For a stocked shotgun, I'd rather have a brighter light. But for the Stakeout? So far these lights look promising. They weigh nothing and are unobtrusive. Remains to be seen how durable they are, how long the battery lasts, etc.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Agreed.

I think the MCS foreend is a cool piece of kit but it's an expensive way to go for a regular 870.

If these lights work out, I think a better solution would be finding the right hardware to mount them to the Magpull foreend.

For a stocked shotgun, I'd rather have a brighter light. But for the Stakeout? So far these lights look promising. They weigh nothing and are unobtrusive. Remains to be seen how durable they are, how long the battery lasts, etc.
    Thats what I have been thinking about. Something that would work with a magpul foreend for the Stakeout. It wouldn't take much to do this sort of setup on a magpul from the looks of it.... hmmm.....
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I really like that! Thanks for posting.

For mounting them to the Magpul forend, I used a couple of retention screws from an old Archangel holster, along with the rubber washers used for spacing the Pull the Dot straps. I’m sure a better setup could be worked up, but that worked pretty good for a 30-second solution. I still prefer the MCS forend though, as there’s more barrel shadow with the Magpul forend no matter where you position the lights, and the MCS positions your hand in a more natural position to activate the lights. I think you could eliminate the barrel shadow issue by placing the lights on a rail attachment (maybe something purpose-designed for the Photons?) that moves the lights a little farther outboard. May even make them more natural to activate too. I think it’s an idea worth exploring.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.