Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It’s been a bit, but here are some pics of a solution I found for attaching the Photon Microlight to a Magpul forend. I found an item online that just slides over any piece of picatinny rail section, and the Photon snaps into it. About $5.00 with shipping. I’ll post the link if it’s ok with Gabe. It’s 3D printed, so it’s very fragile. I ordered two of them, and ended up breaking one attempting to get it on the rail. So I’m not sure how long it’ll stand up to regular use. It also makes the light stick out quite a ways as you can see in the pics, but that does have the benefit of eliminating the barrel shadow that occurs when you just bolt the light directly to the forend. It would be nice if someone could improve on this concept (hint hint), maybe making it from a better quality material, and more low-profile.

4764C5F4-8AA1-440D-A692-BF973EE56C63.jpg
    AA2EADA1-E1A9-4CB7-836D-6D28F0B96064.jpg
    0E4B5B10-C453-40E3-B6EA-D6CB078C2CC2.jpg
    3C5F1275-FB5E-4D9C-B84B-5C92A7F3D294.jpg
    952622D7-224B-4C11-BDDD-FCA2E04DC2DE.jpg
    0E391783-D75E-45E6-A11A-40D7350DDEC8.jpg
    FC1E9823-565F-49B1-9C7A-A2E90241433B.jpg

Edit: Here’s the pic of the one I broke:
    645F9A38-6E56-467D-AB06-C943DB2E8877.jpg

Yes, I did muzzle myself while taking the second to last pic. Weapon was unloaded and triple checked immediately before commencing any of this.
    Last edited by MesserMan; 10-04-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Has anybody ever seen a flashlight that mounts directly to Mlok? I really like the Insight WML, but it only mounts to a pic rail section which makes it stick out even farther. I would think there's a market for a slim light that mounts directly to Mlok, which would be nice for the side of the Magpul forend or tucking in tight into the 10:30/1:30 sections of many AR hand guards, but I haven't seen it yet.

Arisaka Defense has bodies for the Scout series of weaponlights that are pretty minimalist. That combined with one of their inline M-Lok mounts is about as low-profile as you can get short of using a Microlight. Still more bulky than anything you’d want to put on a Tac-14 though.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post

... Weapon was unloaded and triple checked immediately before commencing any of this.
    Oh, thank God. I was worried for a minute.

-- ML

As of right now, to my knowledge there is nothing on the market that is small and trim enough for a tac-14.

Currently, if you must have a light for your pistol grip shotgun, I think the best solution is this Photon light jury rigged to fit the Magpul foreend. Personally, I do not find it absolutely necessary on this weapon. If there is a simple solution that is trim and elegant then I would be interested. Right now there is no solution other than DIY.

I bought these lights because I have an MCS. On that platform they are elegant and simple. They are a great solution. However, on a full-size pistol grip shotgun, I think the Magpul is still a better choice.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

A Mission First Tactical Torch dual white LED light is only slightly larger than a Photon and mounts directly to a Pic rail. Another option.

Quote Originally Posted by 62-10 View Post
    A Mission First Tactical Torch dual white LED light is only slightly larger than a Photon and mounts directly to a Pic rail. Another option.
    Too big when attached to a rail on the tac-14. It is not comfortable to shoot on that platform. And it has very little light, almost useless. Works ok on an AR pistol as a minimal light source, but there are many better choices.

If your shotgun has a stock, you can mount a better light.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I have to agree with Brent. I tried putting a small section of rail on the Tac-14 and then affixing a inforce WML. It worked when dry firing. I took it to the range and it was just not comfortable to shoot, especially with the slug rounds. I have fairly large hands and my thumb was resting on the back side of the light. I did not realize how much my hand moved "in place" while shooting. My grip stayed the same, however, I ended up jamming my thumb against the light. I could move my hand around a bit but the beauty of the tac 14 is the freedom of movement with the weapon and the quick transfers.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Yes. Feels fine in dry practice but then you take it to shoot and find it really is not comfortable.

It’s not an issue when there’s a stock...but if that’s the case we can use a more capable light.

The Magpul rail is thick and sticks the light out there a ways. Too much so when you only have two points of contact. When there is a light that attaches directly to the foreend without the need for the rail piece, then we will have something useable.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Arisaka Defense has bodies for the Scout series of weaponlights that are pretty minimalist. That combined with one of their inline M-Lok mounts is about as low-profile as you can get short of using a Microlight. Still more bulky than anything you’d want to put on a Tac-14 though.
    Yeah, I've seen that kind of setup but it's still going to stick out significantly because it's using a standard-form round flashlight. My fantasy might be something like the Surefire Stiletto that has an integrated cantilevered mount that attaches directly to Mlok. I think when these manufacturers move to rechargeable batteries and away from the conventional round batteries it's going to open up some new opportunities for something like that.