Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I love this concept, but I am cautious about making the lighting options the main driver on forend choice. The forend makes a big difference in how the shotgun handles and shoots, which should be the primary consideration.

If the MCS is as good or better at that criterion, then the fact that it makes attaching a light easier may be worth the extra $100. If not, the lights aren't worth the loss in performance.
    Armed Puritan

It wouldn't take much to drill holes/cut a channel in the front of the front flare of the magpul foreend and then mount the lights butted up against them.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Mission First Tactical Torch Back Up Picatinny Mounted Light, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8DLTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_q5gFDbNG5T450. This on a magpul forend would likely accomplish the same goal at significant cost savings.

Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I have tried those Mission First tactical lights.

They are very dim, not nearly as bright as the other lights we are discussing in this thread. Outdoors they are next to useless.

They are relatively small and weigh next to nothing, which is great. Indoors, they provide just enough illumination (I would be happier if they were as bright as the Photon lights). They work OK on a pic rail for an indoor gun like a short AR or a subgun...Platforms where they do not get in the way.

But for a shotgun where are you are operating the action under recoil, it is a different story. I wanted to like them on the Stakeout, but after attaching the rail to the Magpul foreend (which is relatively tall), even though the light is small it ends up bigger than you would think. It seems OK in dry practice, but when you start running it at speed, changing hands, and firing live, I found that it’s in the way. I absolutely hated it. Lights are fine things but if they impede my use of the gun, off they go. MAYBE if the light was brighter I might convince myself to put up with it, though probably not.

A bigger, better light works on the foreend with a stocked shotgun. But recoil is different with Tac-14 style weapons. YMMV, but I found it a very poor solution for the Stakeout.

On the other hand, these things are relatively cheap and if you don’t like it on the shotgun you can always put it on something else. Try it for yourselves, maybe your experience will be better than mine.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

That looks promising. I’ll have to pick one of those up and try it out. Good find.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Brent posted at the same time I did. Thatís dissapointing, the official lumen rating for the Mission First light is higher than the Photon. Sorry to hear thatís not the case in practice. Might get one anyway to try out though.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    For mounting them to the Magpul forend, I used a couple of retention screws from an old Archangel holster, along with the rubber washers used for spacing the Pull the Dot straps. Iím sure a better setup could be worked up, but that worked pretty good for a 30-second solution. I still prefer the MCS forend though, as thereís more barrel shadow with the Magpul forend no matter where you position the lights, and the MCS positions your hand in a more natural position to activate the lights. I think you could eliminate the barrel shadow issue by placing the lights on a rail attachment (maybe something purpose-designed for the Photons?) that moves the lights a little farther outboard. May even make them more natural to activate too. I think itís an idea worth exploring.
    Got pics of this mod?
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:

CRG-3 Advanced Gunfighting, November 2-3 2019, Mapleton, OR

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GOTFX!!)

I’ll put some pics up of it in a day or so.