Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE IRON PRICE

Default THE IRON PRICE

10-bodyfat.jpg

As some of you know...I have been on a hard and strict Paleo diet since May. I have not lost any upper body size, but my waist size has decreased by two. This is what 10% bodyfat looks like on me. I weigh in at 170. I doubt many nearly-sixty combat istructors (not to mention gun instructors) would post an image of themselves sans shirt but I digress.

The How for those who may want to do likewise:

1). Find a Progressive Medicine practitioner who wants to make you a bad ass, not a Dr. Fudd who wants you to die quietly during a rousing bingo or checkers game. Get a blood panel to cover Androgens (testsoterone and estrogen), Thyroid, and Lipids. Make sure everything is optimized. When they say "normal for your age", fire them and find another. And don't get sacred over cholesterol. Read the book "Cholesterol Clarity" for further.
    Once your panels are optimized for Superman...or Wonder Woman, go to step two.

2). Clean up your diet. I eliminated Gluten and grains (including beer). I eliminated all dairy. I eliminated all Soy (soy is poison). I eliminated all added sugar. Do the same and you will see a difference in a week. If you have any food sensitivities or allergies, eliminate those foods as well. Consider eliminating nightshades (tomatoes, onions, eggplants), as one example. I eat no fast food and read labels on anything packaged. I buy all my food organic and order off-menu if the restaurant doesn't have what i want.

My diet yesterday was as follows:

Breakfast: Wagyu Beef Patty with 1/2 sweet potato and fruit.
    Lunch: Piece of Salmon with green salad (olive oil and vinegar).
    Dinner: 1/2 pound of grass fed ground beef, another salad and fried plantains (coconut oil).

I drink about two 32 oz. Nalgenes per day, sometimes three. I do not drink much alcohol these days, but will enjoy a cocktail or two socially with friends.

3). You gotta move, you gotta lift. If you drop ten pounds of bodyfat and have nothing below, you will just be skinny. You need to build the frame work that will be revealed by your diet. The best way to do this is vis-a-vis resistance training or weight lifting. Excessive cardio will not do it and is actually detrimental. I lift three to four times per week. I work every muscle group every time I lift. Thus I do something for chest, back, shoulders, arms and legs every session. I try to progress every time but try to not over do it since I will be back at it in two days again. My cardio is either from loaded carries, heavy bag work, or karate. I despise running and find that if I put in a running session, my knees will not want to lift the next day.

Anyway...that is it. I am not genetically gifted or anything of the sort. Everything I know van be learned by anyone with research and accomplished with discipline. Nothing is impossible.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

This is AWESOME. Great inspiration!
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Thanks for the info and encouragement.

How do you feel about bulking in cycles to build muscle then fixing your diet to get lean/healthy again?

Or rather do you in fact have to put on fat to build muscle?

Almost 3 years ago I changed my diet, lost 20 pounds I didn't know I had to loose, in 6 weeks. Had no clue how fat skinny I was. This year I started the stongslift 5x5 program. It's been good but I can't quit get my diet figured out. Either I put on belly fat or get low on energy.

Thanks.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

All right already. Heading over to the garage now.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 17. And a wakeup.

That may work when you are 25 but at almost 60 I think its not the best option. I think its best to stay lean year round if you can. The Str.ong Lifts are a good start but the heavier you go the less you can do and that turns into a great deal of "recovery time". Rippetoe is right about getting you strong...but to a point. Many powerlifters are also fat. I don't want to look like Rippetoe. At some point you will need to step away from the 5x5 and develop a more hypertrophy (muscle building) system.

Get a book on Paleo. Its easier than many realize.
    Gabriel Suarez

Ok so a dumb question.
    How do you know how much time you need to recover? What are typical signs or symptoms one needs more recovery time?
    I agree about switching to a muscle building program. Right now I'm trying to get stronger. I may finish this year with the stongslift program then switch.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

Impressive. I have--at least for the time being--chosen to accept a few extra pounds. As long as it doesn't slow me down, I like to enjoy my wife's cooking. I'll lift, sprint, and roll, but I'll also have a cookie. It's not that my wife wants a "dad bod," but I perceive that our marriage is happier when I appreciate her food without restrictions or demands. But I am impressed by your discipline.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ....but the heavier you go the less you can do and that turns into a great deal of "recovery time".

Spot on. Essentially you injure the muscle to force it to grow. When you're halfway through your seventh decade injury tends to hang around like an unwelcome guest. Increases need to be, ah, incremental, if you want to keep lifting regularly.

And you must.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 17. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Ok so a dumb question.
    How do you know how much time you need to recover? What are typical signs or symptoms one needs more recovery time?
    I agree about switching to a muscle building program. Right now I'm trying to get stronger. I may finish this year with the stongslift program then switch.
    You need to listen to the body. For me...I know I need to chill if I get a cold, sleep poorly more than a single night, or if soreness is over what I expect.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    You need to listen to the body. For me...I know I need to chill if I get a cold, sleep poorly more than a single night, or if soreness is over what I expect.
    So if you find you need more recovery time do you also deload?