Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Folders- tip up or tip down?

Is there a preference? Does our unconventional wisdom favor one over the other? I'm speaking of a typical folder like an Endura or a Delica- not Emerson waves or P'kal picks or Yamamoto Signet Rings, etc.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Every folder I have owned or worked with has been tip up. I think they work well enough for what they are (I think of all folders as 1. a compromise and 2. primarily a tool and secondarily a weapon...unless modified for faster access).

I've got no experience with tip down folders and would be curious if any one with experience has a compelling benefit to them.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Unless my memory fails me, Spyderco makes many of their knives with the option of all 4 positions.
    I tend to prefer tip up with the blade side toward the outer edge of my pocket so that blade cannot open while in my pocket. But I will say hand size/shape and knife design can effect the efficiency of deploying the blade. Some may find a knife more easy to open tip up and others may find the very same knife opens easier tip down. So you'll just have to play with it a bit.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Tip up.

I like tip up, blade to pocket wall on fighting folders. On Roping or climbing knives I like to opposite because it's more about positive control than about speed of deployment.

I will add that I like plain edge on a fighting edge, and serrated on a climbing knife (cuts wet rope better). On utility blades I like both.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I prefer tip up but you can learn to be proficient with either orientation... Just don't switch between the two styles or your hand may not know what to do until you think about it.

I have a Liner Lock knive that I of course carry Tip Up, in my right pocket.

But which only acts as my Second Blade/Dagger to the Fixed Blade that hangs of the brake of my chair and which I use throughout my day.

It rarely gets used to cut with but I find myself reaching for it constantly, still in it`s sheath to extend the reach of my right arm-Reaching a box of soup in the cabinet/pulling a pair pf shoes closer that have being pushed a bit further back in the closet.

This habit has made the action of reaching for the knive instinctive and has also helped to camouflage my primary reason for having the knive within reach in the first place, by making the reason for having the knive and the action of using it seem normal to people who visit my home.

A good idea I saw recently, if you carry a small penknive in your pocket, was to wrap it up in a handkerchief first before placing it in your pocket. Commenting on it the person told me that he has not lost another knive since doing this.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    A good idea I saw recently, if you carry a small penknive in your pocket, was to wrap it up in a handkerchief first before placing it in your pocket. Commenting on it the person told me that he has not lost another knive since doing this.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    I don't lose mine. But I had an automatic show it's face in the window of a dryer once with the blade open, stabbing holes in my clothes because I forgot to take it out of a pocket.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Tip up, blade forward.

-- ML

And if I had to guess Greg you were more concerned with the state of your Blade than the holes in your clothes.

Cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR