Thread: CCW match

Default CCW match

I had no idea where to post this, so please move if needed.

I am going to set up a Concealed Carry Match in Casper Saturday 7 September 2019 @ 8:am. This won"t be like any IDPA, USPSA, or whatever match. Because of the range setup and our range rules, we have the ability to scramble the arrangement of the targets between shooters and vary the start positions pretty much on a whim. Everyone will shoot the same number and type of targets, but the exact positions of the targets will be a surprise every run.

The major focus of the match is to have everyone use their EDC setup but I am somewhat flexible on that point.

If anyone is within driving distance and wants to shoot or just observe, pm me and I will try to provide whatever information I can. If the tribe is interested, I will do an AAR.

There will be some concessions to safety but with the way the match is designed, it will be as realistic as I can make it without having the targets shoot back.

If you are close please try to attend. I will do my best to make it memorable.

I would like to see an AAR with the stages if possible. Sounds like a great idea.

I've always wanted to see Wyoming. Alas, adulting takes precedent at the moment; it will have to wait for now. Sounds like a great time. Please post AAR w/ pics.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Ian

Would you be interested in info on our night shoots this winter?

Absolutely.

I won’t be able to attend this one, but please post if you hold another. I have relatives in Wheatland so your location works out pretty well for me.

I too would like to see an AAR.

Thanks.

Allen County Practical Defense League (ACPDL) has been doing this type of match monthly in Indiana for over 40 years. Clint Smith was one of the founders before he moved on.... Sometimes the scenarios get kind of weird, but it is trigger time.

Here is a shortened version of yesterdays match writeup with what I hope are relevant comments.

Stage 1: Start sitting with your loaded pistol holstered and holding a cardboard target so you cannot see downrange. While the RO monitored you, two shooters went downrange and scrambled the target array. When they are done, the RO gets in position behind you and gives you the start signal. You drop the cardboard and engage the targets, two cardboard and one popper, in whatever order you wish.

Comments: Several shooters remained sitting even after watching other shooters stand. I believe I shot last on this stage and was the only one who took more than one or two steps while shooting. I didn't exactly blast off the X or cover myself with glory on this stage but I was attempting to be aggressive enough to upset the bad guys OODA loop by moving to the 2:00 direction.

Stage 2: Starting with your loaded holstered pistol and your back to the targets, the RO moniters you while two shooters scramble the targets. When they finished, the shooter decided which way the would turn to engage the targets, two cardboard and one popper, and the other shooters positioned themselves so they would not be in the line of fire during the draw stroke. At the signal, the shooter took two or three steps away from the targets and when they got close enough to touch a post, they turned and engaged the targets.

Comments: We still had some shooters "stand and deliver," but those who did move moved more than on the previous stage.

Stage 3: Starting with your loaded holstered pistol, your back to the targets, and one hand on each side of the doorway, the RO monitors you while two shooters scramble the targets. When the range is safe, on the start signal you turn to the left and walk about four or five steps to the corner of the building. At the corner, look to the left and engage the targets, one cardboard and three poppers, as they become visible.

Comments: Some shooters went completely around the corner and whilethey had an unobstructed view of the targets, the targets had an equally unobstructed view of them. I shot my J frame on this stage and yes I need more trigger time with it.

General notes: Until I shot the first stage and gave each paper target a 3-4 shot burst, everyone (I think) gave the standard two shots on paper and one on steel. Those with magazine capacity took a cue and fired more rounds per target on the following stages. One shooter had a S&W Shield and didn"t have the ability to spread more love.

Almost everybody had trouble with their clothing on the drawstroke, reholstering, or both. Apparently, some clothing can interfere with a smooth drawstroke. Wow, who knew. Two of us shot AIWB and I shot my J frame from a shoulder holster on stage 3. Yeah, I know, but that's what I ran.

We had one oddball gun, a longslide 1911 in 10mm. The guy claims that is his EDC. At about 5'6", I would think a shorter barrel would be a little more handy.

I don't mean to imply that any of the shooters were incompetent or dangerous. We all realized that what we were doing was outside the normal weekly match and required more attention to safety than usual Everybody recognized that they had some shortcomings that needed work. We shall see what changes are made.

I think that what helped the most was that there wasn't a timer or scoreboard in sight. Nobody hurried to get a better score or time. I stressed that it was a learning experience all around and they seemed to understand the reasoning of the stages. Because the targets were scrambled between shooters,nobody could "game the system" and plan their "attack." They had to react to the situation as presented and react accordingly.

All in all, a pretty good day. We had eleven shooters and from safety briefing to last shot was about 2 1/4 hours.