Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Historical CQB - codified entry technique or improv?

The youtube video I was watching ended and moved on to this one. I don't usually go for the "10 things you didn't know about X! Click Now!!!" videos / links but I let it play for a few while I finished my dry fire.

I noticed a brief clip of a stack making entry and saw a technique I've never seen for doing so with a long gun. Technique starts at 1:03 and the pertinent clip is over by 1:10. I tried to share with time in link but no joy. You can skip to 1:03 on the embedded video here, or just go to this link

Check out the way the #1 man enters that doorway.

Now I've seen or heard of over-shoulder and underarm techniques to make it easier to get in a door with a long gun. Never seen that.

Is that a technique that was taught for long-er guns? Or was that someone improvising?

I've written on that before, I'll see if I can find it. Over Arm Assault is used for fixed stock weapons with a long barrel to compress as much as possible so you don't telegraph your entry by presenting the muzzle first. There are other techniques that I prefer that do the same thing but it works.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I've written on that before, I'll see if I can find it. Over Arm Assault is used for fixed stock weapons with a long barrel to compress as much as possible so you don't telegraph your entry by presenting the muzzle first. There are other techniques that I prefer that do the same thing but it works.
    Yes, I remember that excellent article, thanks for sharing link.

Was the movement in the video an example of the Over Arm Assault technique? If so, was it executed properly? Sloppily?

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Yes, I remember that excellent article, thanks for sharing link.

Was the movement in the video an example of the Over Arm Assault technique? If so, was it executed properly? Sloppily?
    I didn't really critique it, I just checked it out to see what you were talking about. I'll go back and look at it again.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

I went back and watched it more closely. The first guy used the method in a variation that lifted the elbow so the weapon is horizontal. I don't personally like that except when shooting over cover that I'm close to so you don't have to worry about mechanical offset. I've seen people shoot their cover because they don't account for that. The reason I don't like that variation in this example because the elbow and magazine protrudes outboard of your body and can catch on a door frame or furniture.

Now the rest of the video. That entry was hot garbage, a total dumpster fire. The stack wasn't tight enough and the 1 man was in that room 2-4 seconds ahead of his second man. The 2 man was totally unprepared to enter the structure and didn't even have a shooting grip on his rifle and zero sling management and the 3 man stalled in the fatal funnel of the door. If the room that we can't see was that small he should have just stepped to the frame an pulled security while the other 2 cleared and only come in when called for.

ETA: Not to mention it is WAY too slow, that would have been a turkey shoot for anyone inside that was prepared.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 08-27-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Greg, do you still have that POV video of you and me clearing that structure? It's a great demonstration of the speed you are talking about.

As I recall there were two vids...one with everyone that is mostly a commercial but it does show the spacing, timing and speed involved, and the other that was just you and me. Both would be worth posting here.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Greg, do you still have that POV video of you and me clearing that structure? It's a great demonstration of the speed you are talking about.

As I recall there were two vids...one with everyone that is mostly a commercial but it does show the spacing, timing and speed involved, and the other that was just you and me. Both would be worth posting here.
    Ugg... that was an AAR thread and I don't recall who started it. I'll do some digging after I get back from the lunch time gym session.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Found it: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...highlight=Iowa

The video is embedded in post #153. Now off to lunch.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Found it: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...highlight=Iowa

The video is embedded in post #153. Now off to lunch.
    Hey Greg, can't open that page for some reason. I get an error RE lacking permissions.