Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Warrior’s Library

Did a bit of searching, and didn’t see a specific thread on this. (Admittedly my computer skills are not “exceptional.”). So if this has been done, please do as necessary with this thread...

Il Maestro’s last blog on Developing the Complete Fighter got me wondering:

What would the members of out tribe consider their top 5 books for the “Warrior’s Library?” I know there are far more than 5, but I’d be interested in seeing those that have crossed-over for the majority of us.

Mine:
    1. Book of 5 Rings/Musashi
    2. Art of War/Tzu
    3. For Whom the Bell Tolls/Hemingway
    4. Principles of Personal Defense/Cooper
    5. Kill or Get Killed/Applegate

I’ve been trying to find a copy of “Unrepentant Sinner” by Col. Askins for a reasonable price. Found a “good” used copy for $45.00 that I think I’m just going to buy.

Also very eager for Gabe’s book on Killing within the Law/Gentlemen Killers. Very eager.

What say the Tribe?
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Good list.

I would add any of the books available through SI.

Also, Left of Bang, and maybe No Second Place Winner.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." – Baader-Meinhof slogan

"Warrior", to me, carries a far broader connotation than just personal combat. So...

The Old Testament
    Sun Tzu The Art of War
    Musashi Book of Five Rings
    Ceasar Commentaries
    Xenophon Anabasis

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

And since a warrior should know how to express himself, I would add The Rhetoric and the Poetics of Aristotle. Read that (the rhetoric part anyway), and then re-read what has been written here about how to handle yourself during a police interview. It is surprising how little things have changed over the centuries when it comes to making a case for something.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." – Baader-Meinhof slogan

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Band of Brothers and Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth by the Colonel

It is almost impossible to narrow down to 5 .

Here is just a quick off the top of my head list that no one else has mentioned yet. I may come back and add to this when I'm in my office and can see my bookshelves. Even if I were in jail I wouldn't limit myself to just 5.....

The Combative Perspective by Gabe Suarez (this and Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense are mandatory)
    Secrets of Reality Based Gunfighting by Gabe Suarez (this disrupted the industry)
    All In Fighting (or the US version called Get Tough) by WE Fairbairn
    Do or Die by Anthony Drexel Biddle
    Cold Steel by John Styers
    Born Fighting by Jim Webb
    Training at the Speed of Life by Ken Murray
    With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham
    April 1865 by Jay Winik
    In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

I've read all of Gabe's books, and "The Final Weapon" and "Killing The Active Shooter" are my favorites. The biggest problem I see in the gun world is people having either a gamer or a fearful mindset, and these two books will cure you of that.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Sam mentioned the Old Testament...as a supplement I would suggest Dennis Prager's series, The Rational Bible. Some years ago he did a series of lectures going through the first five books (the Torah, obviously he teaches from a Jewish perspective but I think it's incredibly valuable for the Christian). The lectures were a discussion, line by line, with explanations, original translations, context, deeper detail, etc. He is in the process of turning those lectures into books, last I checked three books have been published. I'm only through part of them but I strongly recommend.

And when it comes to book recommendations I always recommend Rory Miller's Facing Violence. I consider it required reading.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps