Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR advice

Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Barrel

Stainless for accuracy. Cold hammer forged for durability. Nitride for a bit of both.

Larue, criterion, white oak armory, ballistic advantage for stainless. Centurion, DD, FN for CHF. Faxxon or ballistic advantage for nitride.

Gunner or Hanson profiles. Government profiles are a miscarriage.

BCG

BCG is Colt, DD, LMT or Toolcraft. I prefer nitride for a bunch of reasons. 9310 is what is used in C7s, and they outlast US milspec, so don't lose your mind over c158 bolts.

Buffer

A5 buffer systems are better in the way midlength is better than carbine. They provide the best physics. If you're buying a complete rifle or lower, it isn't a big deal. Per Mike Panone, use the heaviest buffer that will still lock back on an empty magazine.

Trigger

Double stage is owned by the SSA or SSAE. Larue makes their MBT for $87, which is hard to say no to. If i couldn't find a G2S for $100 on occasion, I'd get the MBT.

Single stages are all over. QMS or ACT for cheap. Timney if you want gucci. A Timney has to be felt to be believed.
    On the buffer. A major advantage of wt is that it slows the bolt speed down. In a 7.62 x 39 upper that i had the bolt speed was too fast with two round feeding out of the mag at the same time. One was chambered and a second one was stove piped. Added tungsten wts and that stop. I adjust wts according to the basic ejection diagram recommendations.
    I try for 4-4:30.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    On the buffer. A major advantage of wt is that it slows the bolt speed down. In a 7.62 x 39 upper that i had the bolt speed was too fast with two round feeding out of the mag at the same time. One was chambered and a second one was stove piped. Added tungsten wts and that stop. I adjust wts according to the basic ejection diagram recommendations.
    I try for 4-4:30.

The key here is "basic". This graph was designed for mil-spec rifles using mil-spec ammo, so with varying commercial products the accuracy of this graph can be a crap shoot.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    The key here is "basic". This graph was designed for mil-spec rifles using mil-spec ammo, so with varying commercial products the accuracy of this graph can be a crap shoot.
    Can you elaborate with examples in common chamberings such as the 300 AAC, 6.5g, and 7.62x39. i would think the mechanics of bolt speed and ejection would be the same.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

All I'm saying is that the military rifles are all designed to be the same, but when you start throwing different ingredients into the mix,it changes the cake. Bolt speed, buffer spring, extractor spring, ammo, ect, there are too many variables to consider in a non-standard AR world before jumping right to the chart. In this year's armored course, after explaining what I just did, the instructor said that as long as the rifle performs well, the ejection pattern is nothing to worry about. In a certain rifle with certain parts, at it's ideal performance it might have 1 o'clock ejection.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    All I'm saying is that the military rifles are all designed to be the same, but when you start throwing different ingredients into the mix,it changes the cake. Bolt speed, buffer spring, extractor spring, ammo, ect, there are too many variables to consider in a non-standard AR world before jumping right to the chart. In this year's armored course, after explaining what I just did, the instructor said that as long as the rifle performs well, the ejection pattern is nothing to worry about. In a certain rifle with certain parts, at it's ideal performance it might have 1 o'clock ejection.
    Hard to argue with that. It if works it does not need fixing.