Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR advice

Colt/BCM/Daniel Defense.....never had issues with either of these. I'm sure there are other excellent manufacturers (Noveske,LMT,PWS etc) but have no experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    Heard nothing good about them at the armorers course, from instructor and students. Shoddy workmanship is basically what it comes down too. The same for Ruger, S&W, Bushmaster, Olympic, and more. These companies cut corners to make profit. Even some issues with DD. If the gun does not meet milspec, why not? You see a lot of milspec parts, but are they put together according to milspec?
    How sad too... At this point a drunken retard can make a solid AR15. There’s no excuse.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    Heard nothing good about them at the armorers course, from instructor and students. Shoddy workmanship is basically what it comes down too. The same for Ruger, S&W, Bushmaster, Olympic, and more. These companies cut corners to make profit. Even some issues with DD. If the gun does not meet milspec, why not? You see a lot of milspec parts, but are they put together according to milspec?
    Got it. Thanks!
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I'd take a long look at the complete rifles by Centurion Arms. They have some great features for the cost, and Montey runs a good business. Something like $1200ish for a complete carbine, and you can get their excellent CMR rails on them.

Also, consider the Colt 6960 CCU.

If you're getting anything at or over 14.5", you should get a midlength gas system. Carbine works, but midlength just provides a superior operating environment in terms of pressures, temperatures, timing, etc.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    If you're getting anything at or over 14.5", you should get a midlength gas system. Carbine works, but midlength just provides a superior operating environment in terms of pressures, temperatures, timing, etc.
    My understanding is the throat of the barrel wears before the whole mid length thing even could become an issue. Speaking of quality parts here. And I've never understood someone being so concerned about the whole carbine vs mid. I mean if it's that big of deal just buy a 20 inch rifle and be done with it.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I have a Colt 6920 and a Bushmaster M-4gery, no problems with either so I'd purchase either of them over again.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

I'd check out the Patriot Ordnance Factory Renegade Plus. It is an excellent rifle, period. It is the best factory AR I have ever put my hands on. Innovation is off the charts from the 9 position gas block, to the chamber, to the bolt, to the massive heat sink barrel nut. It also has an MOA guarantee. I really looked at LWRC, and DD before I got the POF, and they just didn't stack up. If you've got the coin, it's definitely worth checking out.

Sionics. They are top tier and supply a ton of LE agencies. Plus if you call their phone number the guy building your rifle will answer and talk to you about your gun.

What are the features that one looks for when buying an AR relative to the barrel, bolt-BCG, buffer-springs, trigger group, etc?

I see that the cheapo builds relative to the barrels are plain steel and I assume in 5.56 would wear-out in the throat faster than a milspec barrel.

How do uppers from Alexander Arms stack up as compared to others? I have one in 6.5 g.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    What are the features that one looks for when buying an AR relative to the barrel, bolt-BCG, buffer-springs, trigger group, etc?
    Barrel

Stainless for accuracy. Cold hammer forged for durability. Nitride for a bit of both.

Larue, criterion, white oak armory, ballistic advantage for stainless. Centurion, DD, FN for CHF. Faxxon or ballistic advantage for nitride.

Gunner or Hanson profiles. Government profiles are a miscarriage.

BCG

BCG is Colt, DD, LMT or Toolcraft. I prefer nitride for a bunch of reasons. 9310 is what is used in C7s, and they outlast US milspec, so don't lose your mind over c158 bolts.

Buffer

A5 buffer systems are better in the way midlength is better than carbine. They provide the best physics. If you're buying a complete rifle or lower, it isn't a big deal. Per Mike Panone, use the heaviest buffer that will still lock back on an empty magazine.

Trigger

Double stage is owned by the SSA or SSAE. Larue makes their MBT for $87, which is hard to say no to. If i couldn't find a G2S for $100 on occasion, I'd get the MBT.

Single stages are all over. QMS or ACT for cheap. Timney if you want gucci. A Timney has to be felt to be believed.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway