Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CQB/ Manipulation of a Long Gun

While I prefer as short of a weapon system as possible inside and around structures that’s not always possible due to financial/legal/agency restrictions that preclude a short barreled systems. Outside of a pistol people and professionals have access to what I consider a “long gun”, to be more specific, weapons with a barrel length exceeding 16”. My preferences on manipulations change slightly with a weapon systems that are shorter such as an SMG, PDW, SBR, or SBS.

As addressed in multiple other writings I’ve posted about structures and vehicles, one of the biggest problems is space. When working inside of structures there are hard stops on your freedom of movement, walls, door/door frames, furniture, stairs/stair wells. The previously stated restrictions on your movement are neutral they are neither against you nor for you, they are just something you need to either use or negotiate. That being said the way you move, how your equipment is carried, and how you manipulate your weapons around you and in your environment will give you more freedom of movement inside these constraints.

In my experience I’ve observed that people have a tendency to be a slave to the way they handle a long gun and tend to move their body around the weapon rather than the weapon around the body. They’re a slave to their mount of the weapons system, for example only running the rifle on their dominant side or keeping the stock in their shoulder pit as they dip the muzzle around their partners or other things in the room they don’t want to point in at or staying tied to the weapon via a sling. When working with a long gun inside of a structure space is the biggest problem and weapon retention is the biggest concern, therefore your control of the muzzle of a long gun is the most important thing when it comes to your speed and safety.

There are basically four ways to control your muzzle when entering a room or working around a partner:

Checking. You can check the muzzle either up or down. This is done in a stack, to prevent flagging a team mate, or to move into a resting posture. When Checking I prefer to check up. The reason I prefer that is that it allows a more linear mount than checking down, additionally a weapon checked down is out of the fight while one checked up can still be used as a striking device. If the weapon is checked down it’s too easy for an adversary to keep that weapon pointed at the floor. I will say that checking on entering a room is better than to keep it mounted due to the likelihood that if mounted you will over present the muzzle into the room for a grab if mounted. Checking up allows for easy roll into the following technique.

Under Arm Assault. By pulling the stock under the shooting side arm as you enter the room you accomplish a few things. First you are compressing the muzzle for a weapon retention concept. Secondly you are loading your muscles to perform a bayonet thrust muzzle strike to an adversary. Thirdly it allows you to shoot from this position if your adversary is close with unsighted fire. Down sides are that with a long gun that has a pistol grip it creates an odd angle on your wrist and it uses more space than the following 2 techniques; however if you’re using a non-pistol grip long gun like a standard stocked shot gun it flows really well.

Over Arm Assault. Much like UAA except the stock goes outside your shooting side arm, this allows you to pull the muzzle in more horizontally across the body which will reduce the tendency to over extend the muzzle into the room, still allows for a thrusting muzzle strike, flows easily into a mount, and you can still fire from this position with unsighted fire.

Over Shoulder Assault. This technique is useful as it allows you to keep a sight picture by rotating the muzzle outboard slightly and compress the stock back over the shoulder so that you can still utilize solid aimed fire, allows you still be compressed for a thrusting muzzle strike, reduces the likelihood of the muzzle over presenting into the room, and gives a faster linear mount than the three above.

More to follow.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 12-10-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Sling use/management, this topic is one that gets quite a bit of argument and it seems that people are emotionally invested in their sling choice, which I find odd. So first thing to address is what a sling is for, the purpose of a sling is to store your rifle, the methods of storage depend on why you are storing your long gun and for how long.

Inside of a structure I don’t prefer to be tied to my weapon system in the event someone gets a hold on my muzzle I don’t want to be jerked and pulled around like a dog on a leash, I’d prefer to let them take the weapon and transition to my secondary weapon system be it a side arm or blade. I prefer this because their hands are full and it allows me to close with someone who can do me limited harm and take them out of the fight. There is some decision making here and some discernment involved as you have to decide immediately if you have the ability to bring the muzzle to bear and shoot or if you’re going to get in a struggle. I don’t want to be in a struggle as this adds time, working from the method that speed is your security any loss of time can steal your initiative, which as we know is bad. The above is why I don’t prefer a single point or three point sling for this work unless I’m doing rope work on the outside of the structure.

Not being tied to the weapon you don’t want the sling flailing around as you manipulate the weapon around your body, it can snag on all sorts of things from door knobs to your own equipment or sidearm. I manage this by running a shorter sling than I do in the field and I hold the sling along the forearm or use a band around the forearm that I can tuck excess sling into until I need it. The only problem that running a short sling can cause is if slung over the back it’s generally harder to take off, I don’t really mind that downfall as if I’m putting the rifle on my back it’s going to be there a while and I want it tight and out of the way while I handle the problem.

Over the Neck. I generally will sling my long gun over the neck for a temporary transition to pistol. For example if I need to clear a closet or under stairs. Just like it says I loop the sling over my neck and let the weapon hang. This is very short term storage of a live gun and recommend that the safety be engaged, it isn’t great if an amount of movement is involved because it flops around quite a bit.

Front Side Sling. This will be more for negotiating obstacles, ladders, crawl spaces, and walls. It involves swimming one arm and your head through the sling so it’s tight across the body. The intent here is that if frees up your hands to use your side arm and/or negotiate an obstacle requiring at least one free hand, this again will be used on a live rifle so ensure your safety is engaged. Once the issue has been solved it’s easy to put the rifle back into action and in a pinch you can go back to the rifle with minimal time and effort.

Over the Back. I prefer going over the back for only three reasons. 1) The gun is broken, if the gun isn’t working it does you no good to have it flopping around in front of you, but at the same time I’m not going to just ditch it in case I am afforded the opportunity to get it up and running. 2)Going hands on, If I’m going to be going hands on someone I want the long gun as far away from that person as possible, which means on my back, and I’ll either approach with cover or with my sidearm to actually lay hands on them. 3) Rope work. Obviously if I’m working with a rope from high angles I want a long gun out of my way and unless going Ausssie the back is the best place for long term storage. The longer the gun is stored the more secure I want it.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Your belief that you normally shouldn't be attached to your weapon is surprisingly controversial, but is based on logic. People instinctively want to use the sling because they believe it aids in weapon retention. However, I liked what you said at your last CQB class: "If you come into a room against me with a slung rifle, I'm going to drag you around like a dog on a leash." Not having the rifle attached to you is counterintuitive, but makes a whole lot of sense when you sit down and think about it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Greg, what are your thoughts on the "Irene Adaptive Sling" (IAS)? http://missionspec.com/products/ias-...daptive-sling/

Looks like an interesting concept--instead of the sling staying attached to the rifle, it stays attached to your body. Then you hook on depending on whether you want 1 point or 2 point. It doesn't allow hanging the rifle off your shoulder for casual carry, but it seems like it could offer some advantages for LE scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Greg, what are your thoughts on the "Irene Adaptive Sling" (IAS)? http://missionspec.com/products/ias-...daptive-sling/

Looks like an interesting concept--instead of the sling staying attached to the rifle, it stays attached to your body. Then you hook on depending on whether you want 1 point or 2 point. It doesn't allow hanging the rifle off your shoulder for casual carry, but it seems like it could offer some advantages for LE scenarios.
    That sling doesn't do anything more than the magpull one for the same price which I use. It's just a convertible 1pt/2pt sling, nothing really special about it. I still recommend a 2 point off the body for CQB as re clipping to the rifle is slower and more complicated than draping it around your neck.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Having cleared houses with a M16 A1/A2 and a L1A1, I have a distinct preference for an UZI or Sterling SMG in that role. That being said even a rifle as big as a L1A1 can be used effectively for FISH (Fighting In Someone's House).

Greg I know it happens all the time; but damn, I sure hated clearing a house by myself. In the scenario you described above, it was just a single "unknown occupant". Any thoughts on finding/handling multiples--in the same or separate rooms?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Having cleared houses with a M16 A1/A2 and a L1A1, I have a distinct preference for an UZI or Sterling SMG in that role. That being said even a rifle as big as a L1A1 can be used effectively for FISH (Fighting In Someone's House).

Greg I know it happens all the time; but damn, I sure hated clearing a house by myself. In the scenario you described above, it was just a single "unknown occupant". Any thoughts on finding/handling multiples--in the same or separate rooms?

Thanks
    Look at the other article: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...Unknown-Person
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 12-10-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

I have a couple of options here that aare illustrated in the pics.

My primary duty rifle has a sling mounted tight to the side of the rifle. I HATE being tied to the rifle if I can avoid it (but my duty parameters might be different than yours) If I need the sling it can be easily deployed with my forward hand . If we are on Stand, Wait And Talk detail a link on my armor can clip to the rear mount of the sling to hang until they give us the go ahead.

The Backup rifle that is IN the office (referenced in another thread) can in a pinch be connected to the shown quick connect and short length of 550 thrown over the neck/ neck shoulder. That would primarily be if I needed to handcuff someone and backup wasnt there ( a VERY unlikely condition considering the backups envelope) , but the capability is there and easy to access and STILL doesn't tie me to the rifle until I HAVE to be tied.

On the water, everything changes as most of your gear is dummy corded to you including your long gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

"OVER THE SHOULDER" was definitely something preached prior to getting sent to the sandbox, just by a different name "HIGH STOCK-ING". It did prove to be very useful for manuvering, while like you said, maintaining a solid sight alignment/picture. It was especially useful considering we ran A2s the first time out and even still with A4s the second
    index.jpg

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    "OVER THE SHOULDER" was definitely something preached prior to getting sent to the sandbox, just by a different name "HIGH STOCK-ING". It did prove to be very useful for manuvering, while like you said, maintaining a solid sight alignment/picture. It was especially useful considering we ran A2s the first time out and even still with A4s the second
    index.jpg
    Yep, they taught it as "short stocking" to us back then
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time