Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EDC first aid kits

If this is in the wrong forum, Mods please move. This is in response to Mr. Suarez's post on EDC Tourniquets. What is the recommended EDC first aid kit? I know there are a ton of options, but looking for what's worked, what hasn't, etc.

Thanks!

Michael

I will let GREG & SUA elaborate but my .02 is here. I do see two levels and two applications.

Levels are

ON YOUR PERSON (I think in urban America there are limits to what most people with real lives and real jobs can carry)
    IN YOUR VEHICLE/OFFICE

Applications are

URBAN where EMS system is functional and available...and close by.
    RURAL where its you for the next few days only

What I have with me at a business dinner wearing a suit will not be the same as if I am in the woods thirty miles into a sixty mile trek.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

My EDC first aid kit consists of my brain and a TQ. On a regular basis I feel comfortable having a dedicated way to stop a bad bleed (TQ), and relying on improvisation for pressure dressings, etc... I don't see a need to have more on my person.

My car kit includes a trauma kit:

- shears
    - multiple ABD pads
    - multiple CAT TQs
    - multiple SWAT TQs / pressure dressing
    - multiple large rolls of gauze

and a boo-boo kit:

- bandaids
    - ibuprofen
    - 2x2 gauze squares

If I go on a short hike or something that kit comes with me in a backpack.

Consider carrying aspirin for treatment of suspected cardiac issues.

Some 911 systems will actually ask if there's any aspirin at the scene, and then go through a checklist to determine if it should be administered.

Absent any such direction, patient is to chew (not swallow) one 325 mg tablet (the regular adult size) or four 81 mg tablets. Allergy to aspirin, active GI bleed, or pregnancy are contraindications.

It's awesome that people are finally carrying tourniquets but a lot more folks die of heart attacks than of hemorrhage.

I keep 2 maxi pads in the same pocket as my tourniquet. They work well and dont take up much room.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavySmoke View Post
    I keep 2 maxi pads in the same pocket as my tourniquet. They work well and dont take up much room.
    You want to soak up blood? Sounds like the tampon issue to me. Good for soaking up, not good for saving lives.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    You want to soak up blood? Sounds like the tampon issue to me. Good for soaking up, not good for saving lives.
    We have been over that shit how many times now since 200-f*cking-three???
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Personally I don't carry much on my person. In general I can manage nearly any injury with improvised things. I do keep a TQ in my motorcycle jacket, and in each of my vehicles I keep a good bleeder kit. TQ, Nasal Airway, pressure dressing, gauze, cravat, sealed in an air tight package.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

A TQ and a bandanna are all I carry on my person. I'm seldom very far from a laptop bag or other bag that has more extensive trauma supplies.

My TQ situation is exactly what Gabe described in the blog. I carry a RAT on my person because it fits in this sleeve-like pocket in my normal pants that a CAT won't fit in; then most of the TQs in the various bags are CATs.
    Witty signature on backorder.

A simple way to think about medical gear is First Line, Second Line, Third Line.

First Line being things that you have on your person, daily, at all times. First Line medical is tough. A RATs in the back pocket or a CAT around your ankle under your bootcut pants is about as much as most people can realistically carry.

Second Line would be your go to, fast grab stuff. This would be an IFAK that you have in your backpack, briefcase, whatever. An IFAK usually has: TQ, curlex gauze, hemostatics, NPA, shears, some nitrile gloves (at least three pairs: one for you, one for your helper, one set of spares), some tape, a permanent marker. A really moto kit might have needle-D and an occlusive dressing / chest seal. Mostly, you'll be using shears, gauze, and TQ. A wise man carries a booboo kit in there, too, with bandaids, nail clippers, some ibuprofen & aspirin, a bit of bactine, some vasoline, and a bit of duct tape rolled around a hunk of card.

Third Line would be a full on aid bag stowed in your vehicle. This is something that takes training and a serious sense of purpose to manage, so I'll leave this to other, more educated users.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway