Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Any serious boxing gym, a real mma fighting gym, serious bjj dojo, any wrestling gym headed by NCAA champion wrestlers (likely found in MMA gyms).

If you're talking about true American martial arts, the Suarez group and Craig Douglas and Tim Kennedy are a short list of people teaching modern integrated combatives with a pedigree of scalp taking.
    Thanks for the kind words brother. On other note...Craig is a good guy. Don't know Kennedy personally...but have heard much good.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Just for a deeper dive.
    What about non Asian martial arts? Same original questions.
    I agree with Mr. Suarez. The Western fighting arts long had a problem with sport dominating utility. Dig into the development of fencing, and you'll find that foil fencing developed in the late 1700s...and promptly went off into the sport weeds. Which led to the development of epee fencing. Which stayed reasonably martial until the 1930s, but was done in by the combination of electric scoring, the abandonment of the grass strip, the abolition of the point d'arret, and the multi-touch bout.

When you have modern 15-touch bouts, you've completely lost the martial bubble.

Yes, there is training to be had in the martial sports. Especially in fundamentals. But you also have to maintain a focus on practical utility, and most of them don't. Especially when money gets involved.
    Last edited by Mike OTDP; 08-14-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Sport erodes combat focus. We see it all day long in the gun world, and its the same in the martial arts world.

Even the vast majority of Boxing and Wrestling Schools...of which there are not as many as you would think, how many are street focused? Maybe a single percentage point. Most will be focused on their respective sports. Not a bad thing in itself, but the reality is that a sport involving mutually agreed upon confrontation with matched opponents operating under rules intended to keep them safe, and with an overseer that insures this, is a long canyon away from a street fight no matter the argument. I will add that when a sport fighter does well in a street fight, it is because he has knowledge and skill in street fighting, not because of the sport necessarily.

I recall a homicide investigation in LA where a noted champion kick boxer went out to the parking lot to confront two guys stealing his ride. Expecting a "match" where he would have the upper hand, one of them simply shot him.

The MMA stuff is not a "western" martial art by the way. It is a conglomeration of many systems from Boxing, Karate, Jujitsu, Muay Thai, etc. And while MMA fighters are well conditioned and have a great level of "fighter's understanding", it is nonetheless a sport with rules, judges, and limits. Mot a waste of time but not a complete fighting system either.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Billy`s post is a great example of using the training tools that you have available to you right now and finding creative ways to get around to sporting and safety aspects of the training.

Like I have stated in previous posts I have being guilty myself of staring at my computer screen seeing all the great training that everybody else but me seem to be doing and playing the: "Man if only" game.

Being in this space is worse than simply not working out/training because it saps your will, drains your energy and effects your thinking and self image bleeding into the rest of your life because these thoughts are constantly running through your mind.

Training gets you moving forward and starts to cause a change in all these things. Especially your thinking, getting your mind unstuck-Moving your body moves your mind out of it`s rut.

Being in this space suddenly brings your goal of being an effective fighter within reach-Your circumstances have not changed but you now spot creative opportunities to learn and to train, instead of seeing your circumstances as limitations/obstacles that prevents you from training in the ideal environment.

Testing for a baseline of fitness and strength before Grading/a test is not only important in demonstrating that the person is able to apply the techniques physically but is also a double lesson in personal responsibility-Karate is not suppose to be an aerobics class and the instructor is not a personal trainer. Fitness is going to be a byproduct of the training and not the goal.

Also you are going to need to work on your fitness and strength outside of class. And if these tests are done randomly, the students learns to be ready physically at all times.

Most young men are like the characters in the movie Demolition Man wheres Stallone`s character wakes up in a society where everything that can possibly harm you have being eradicated. So when they get confronted by Snipes`s violent character they have no point reference/experience in how to confront violence/even the though of violence.

Young boys today in South Africa lack a physical education. They don`t play rugby anymore or take part in any other "violent contact sport-Having no experience in confronting somebody physically even in the safe, controlled environment of the playing field.

Learning to defend yourself by going to the local boxing gim/Dojo is no longer considered a vital of a young man`s education.

So if this young man, as an older adult in his 40th for example is lucky enough to survive a violent attack and decides that "I need to do something to protect myself and my family" the something can almost be an impossible problem to solve.Having to try and make up for a lifetimes missed experiences and practice, like the characters in the movie, not only in knowing how to fight but simply in being physical.

And for most the task will be to daunting and they will search for the quick solution-Can of Pepper-Spray or they will simply choose to ignore the feelings of unease.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR