Default Where to Buy an Arsenal

The gun stores I usually deal with have very limited AK options. They have a few WASRs in the $700 range which seems about right. I would prefer a milled Arsenal. They do have an Arsenal SAM7SFK80 SAM7SFK Gambit Semi-Automatic for $2,000. Does that sound right? Their prices on things Iím more familiar with are good. But I thought an Arsenal like I have in mind could be had for $1,500 ish. I want an AK for the extreme durability factor. An Arsenal should be as good or better in that area than other AKs, right?

Google.... I found at least 5 different dealers for less than $1500, in about 3 seconds.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

The man that I normally deal with, I would make a phone to him and tell him what I want. He very quickly would get back to me with something as well known as an arsenal AK. He might even have a used one in stock. I might do an internet search just to check out the price he was offering. There are other local dealers that will order for me plus a small fee for the FFL service.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I appreciate the info. Here is a pic of an Arsenal SAM7SFK80R SAM7SFK Gambit with Quad Rail that is $150 more. 51F74681-E897-4912-BFFA-BF929105FC3D.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the first one I mentioned. 25546B05-BEFC-40A8-BDCD-72A03CC46BAD.jpeg

I want high grade quality fairly standard (non-quirky) design AK. I don’t know much about AKs. Am I correct that these pretty much fit the bill of what I’m describing? And there’s no reason to think that an Arsenal won’t be as durable or more durable than other AKs, is there? And not to start a Ford/Chevy argument, but Fuller seems to be in roughly the same price range. Between Arsenal and Fuller, what’s to like/not like in one vs. the other? I’m very appreciative of any insight that can be provided.

Arsenal makes good AKs. They are the only AKs I would recommend outside a custom maker.

It's been awhile since I looked at Fuller's stuff. I would be surprised that his AKs are comparable price to an Arsenal.

The AKs you posted above are milled receivers. Milled receivers are smooth, but otherwise there's no real benefit over a stamped receiver. The stamped models are lighter.

Personally I wouldn't use a quad rail on an AK. It's unnecessarily heavy. I would go with Magpul, assuming they offer a foreend that fits the model you want. Also check out Ultimak - they are the standard for a red dot mount on the gas tube...again assuming they offer an option in the AK model you pick (I don't know if either make products for the two you posted above, those foreends look shorter than the standard AK).
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Arsenal makes good AKs. They are the only AKs I would recommend outside a custom maker.

It's been awhile since I looked at Fuller's stuff. I would be surprised that his AKs are comparable price to an Arsenal.

The AKs you posted above are milled receivers. Milled receivers are smooth, but otherwise there's no real benefit over a stamped receiver. The stamped models are lighter.

Personally I wouldn't use a quad rail on an AK. It's unnecessarily heavy. I would go with Magpul, assuming they offer a foreend that fits the model you want. Also check out Ultimak - they are the standard for a red dot mount on the gas tube...again assuming they offer an option in the AK model you pick (I don't know if either make products for the two you posted above, those foreends look shorter than the standard AK).

Thanks Brent. This is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get. If I understand correctly, the gambit is counted in the length of the barrel. Would something 16Ē without gambit be more standard? Is there any tremendous benefit of the gambit? What would a more standard Arsenal with folding stock similar to those be?

Are you saying milled receivers just feel smoother when you touch them, or function smoother?

Thanks.

I have an Arsenal SLR-107F, which is stamped and has a folding stock. I would not go for a milled receiver or a quad rail, that is weight you do not need. You are on the right track starting with a very good base that you can add to, however, I would go with a more stock/original configuration. You will have more options when you want to modify your rifle. If you want a shorter barrel, go AK pistol not a gambit. There is a SLR-107R with fixed stock that is a good price. You could get the Magpul Folder if you want that capability.

My Arsenal runs very well and the folding stock is solid. When I first got it, I shot it stock and then slowly tuned it to my liking. I added the Ultimak and T-1 for sighting, as well as an ALG Defense trigger. I cut off the front retaining clip and sling mount to add the Magpul Zhukov-S handguard, which is a bit shorter and lighter than the full length Zhukov, but more real estate than the standard length handguard. You could go the Magpul MOE or keep the original, which in light and has a nice heat shield. I also had a gunsmith change the muzzle device and front gas block and sight. I did a few other modifications as well. That being said you could buy an Arsenal, put on an ultimak, sling, and red dot and have a nice functional AK

20190809_134000_2.jpg
    Last edited by CaptShack; 08-09-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more information
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor52 View Post
    Thanks Brent. This is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get. If I understand correctly, the gambit is counted in the length of the barrel. Would something 16” without gambit be more standard? Is there any tremendous benefit of the gambit? What would a more standard Arsenal with folding stock similar to those be?

Are you saying milled receivers just feel smoother when you touch them, or function smoother?

Thanks.

I had to look up this Gambit thing since I've never heard of it. In short, it's a really expensive gimmick. I would NOT go this route...if you are willing to pay that much for an AK, you should go buy something from Fuller.

Any rifle that is less than 16" must be registered as an short barreled rifle (SBR). If you buy an SBR, you have to wait months for the ATF to approve it before you can take the gun home.

The Gambit is just a barrel extension that is "permanently" attached, legally making it a 16" barrel. The idea behind it isn't bad...it's a gimmick that allows you to take the rifle home immediately, file the SBR paperwork and keep the rifle while you wait months for the paperwork to clear. When it's approved, your gunsmith can remove the barrel extension and you can throw it away.

It's not a bad idea...except that based on what I see, it's a $1000+ barrel extension. That's bad economics.

You could do the same thing with the SLR-107UR, which appears to be the same rifle, with a better stock, with a full length barrel that you can cut after SBR approval...and it's over $1000 cheaper. You can have it threaded to accept whatever flash hider you want.

Personally I would buy any of the SLR-107 series over the SAM7 series. If you have no plans to SBR your AK, I would recommend the SLR-107CR, based on their current offerings.

Milled receivers do feel like they cycle a little smoother to me than stamped receivers. But functionally they do not offer any advantage. The AK receiver was intended to be stamped, but the first generation was milled do to some challenges the Russians had with the metal. Once they figured it out, they went to stamped receivers.
    Brent Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by CaptShack View Post
    I have an Arsenal SLR-107F, which is stamped and has a folding stock.
    That would have been my recommendation as well, but it appears that they no longer manufacture the 107F. Which seems silly to me since that one is basically the standard.

But whatever. I have never understood any of the choices by AK manufacturers.
    Brent Yamamoto

Seriously, why did they stop producing the SLR-107F, all the good bits and non of the fluff. That was the sweet spot of the Arsenal arsenal, but, alas the AK market is fickle.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy