Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AAR for trauma medicine

First off, I'd like to thank Greg and Sua for getting talked into doing this class. Also thanks to our hosts for the accommodations. Prior to this class I've had about 15 minutes or so of training on hemorrhage control. There's an old saying used a lot that goes like this: when seconds count, police are minutes away. The same thing can be said about paramedics. So you've won the gunfight, now you may very well need patches up. Do you have the tools/training in your toolbox? I know I feel a lot more confident after this weekend.

Ok, on to the actual class. Day 1 was just going through the acronym m.a.r.c.h. Each part represents a different traumatic injury that needs fixed. We got to practice with some of the tools. Greg was an entertaining model for many of the tools. A big part of this class was on being out in the back country where help could be a day or more away. Along with that, we learned how to improvise and make tools such as splints, slings, and litters.

Day 2 consisted of Sua explaining how he has his various med bags set up. He also talked about how he has been able to test many products out in the field. That was very helpful so we could get a little insight on what works and what doesn't.
    Then Greg took us through some off handed pistol drawing and one handed malfunction manipulations from various positions.

All in all, it was a great class. I can't think of any criticisms. All of us students came out now being a lot harder to kill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll second that!

Anyone who was thinking about attending and decided not to really missed out.

Awesome, wish I could have come.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I hosted this course and have now done three with Greg and two with Sua. This was a very special class with very useful and practical information that replaces old dogma with real world applications. I’ve got a strong background in tactical medicine and was completely blown away by the level of skill Sua possesses.

I always look for the “little things” when I’m judging training. An example of those little things was how Sua’s hands would fly through a demonstration with the skill of a surgeon. If something didn’t work, he instantly moved onto a new plan or method without hesitation. I’m sure a shop floor in rural Missouri was like a surgical suite compared to the places he’s worked such as the back of a helicopter at night or the hills of Afghanistan while taking incoming rounds. I’ve worked with the best all over the world and he’s among the top.

After over 15 years of experience with teaching firearms, I’m a pretty good judge of that as well. Greg definitely rates at the top of that game. He’s got a smooth presentation style that is clear and concise. He doesn’t mince words and presents concepts in a logical manner. He allows for a reasonable amount of time to work a skill without allowing it to become monotonous. He recognizes weaknesses in shooters and gives them the individual attention they need.

If you all will allow me to get on my soapbox for a minute, I don’t understand why these guys aren’t turning down courses. These classes should also be packed to capacity at a minimum. Sell one of those five glocks or seven AR’s you don’t actually use and get your damn hands dirty!!! Maybe some of you don’t actually want to train and want to think reading threads is enough. I’ll go out on a limb and say every person on this forum has enough disposable income and time to attend one training session of some type a year. If you aren’t doing that, ask yourself why. Be honest with yourself and many of you won’t like the answer you get. It’s 2019 and we have psychos shooting up fucking Wal-Marts. Get in the game. Get better. People are counting on you.

For some, our time is not our own. Yet.

"Maybe some of you don’t actually want to train and want to think reading threads is enough."

For those who think reading is enough--it's not. Right now, grab your TQ, take it out of its wrapper (where it should not be), apply it as high under your dominant armpit as you can, and tighten it down to where you can no longer feel a pulse. How long did that take?

Oh, you don't have a TQ?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    For some, our time is not our own. Yet.

"Maybe some of you don’t actually want to train and want to think reading threads is enough."

For those who think reading is enough--it's not. Right now, grab your TQ, take it out of its wrapper (where it should not be), apply it as high under your dominant armpit as you can, and tighten it down to where you can no longer feel a pulse. How long did that take?

Oh, you don't have a TQ?
    This class was a little more advanced than that. If you didn't show up you didn't learn how to do a nasal airway, cricothyrotomy, or needle decompressions among dozens of other things.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    This class was a little more advanced than that. If you didn't show up you didn't learn how to do a nasal airway, cricothyrotomy, or needle decompressions among dozens of other things.
    Precisely the kind of stuff that was deemed unsuitable for LEO knuckledraggers at my last training, where we were taken to another training area and fed pablum instead of red meat.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Precisely the kind of stuff that was deemed unsuitable for LEO knuckledraggers at my last training, where we were taken to another training area and fed pablum instead of red meat.
    T and I don't roll that way.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I would have liked to make this one but a family road trip took its place. Not too sad I missed the "oppertunity" to volunteer for an NPA though. Rofl.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I would have liked to make this one but a family road trip took its place. Not too sad I missed the "oppertunity" to volunteer for an NPA though. Rofl.
    They're no big deal, T put one in me as the demo, it wasn't my first time, likely won't be my last.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual