Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    If this is indeed a Shanghai Municipal 1911, you can see their solution to Murphy:

scolt.jpg

If you think of the 1911 as an autoloading SAA, it makes sense: Thumb back the wide spurred hammer on the draw.

The same could be done to a BHP.

Now about that grip safety....
    Last edited by Papa; 09-06-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 15. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    If this is indeed a Shanghai Municipal 1911, you can see their solution to Murphy:

scolt.jpg

If you think of the 1911 as an autoloading SAA, it makes sense: Thumb back the wide spurred hammer on the draw.

Nice. I love looking at how the old timers modified their guns...they had none of the hangups so many gun folks have today. They worked with what they had and modified things to work how they wanted. I like that attitude.

I used to think that DA/SA was a silly thing...part of it was my mistaken buy in to the belief that the transition between different triggers pulls was too big an obstacle. And of course nothing beats a finely tuned 1911 trigger (still my favorite gun to SHOOT even if not my choice to carry).

But all the workarounds and different carry methods for SA...cocked & locked/unlocked, safety deactivation or modification, grip safeties...honestly I think all those issues are simply solved with a good DA/SA.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

The DA-SA is actually my preference. Now wait for five or six others to drop dead just like when I was discussing safeties.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

669 Smith in my pocket as I did not feel like jocking up with a holster today.

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

scolt.jpg

Back in the 1970s we went through that whole series of carry options: Condition 1, Condition 2 and Condition 3. When I was a garrison in Okinawa MP Uncle Sam (and my NCOs) dictated this young PFC carried in Condition 3. When I made MP Investigator we'd load the chamber, lower the hammer and stick the 1911 in our waistband before going into a hairy situation -- in complete violation of the regs. Realize we didn't have any cool inside the waistband holsters at the time, though I did manage to get a Yaqui slide ordered from Safariland; you'd have thought I'd been gifted Persian Delight from Narnia from all the looks I got. Anywho, no Condition 1, though, not while in Uncle Sugar's Army.

Later, after I got out and drove truck for a few years, then went to college, I went Condition 3, having gotten my grubby little hands on a decent holster (or five ... or six) to include a Jackass Rig just like I saw Chuck Taylor wear in Soldier of Fortune. Still, on occasion when I just stuck the gun in my waistband sans holster (Mexican-style) it was Condition 2. I'm sure I never broke any speed records thumbing back the hammer, but I did practice it quite a lot -- "You talkin' to me? Huh? You talkin' to me?" Hey, I was in my early twenties, reading too much SOF, Cooper, etc., and watching too many movies (The French Connection, The Seven-Ups, Dirty Harry, Shaft, you know, high class stuff).

My shooting buddy back then had a Detonics which I coveted something awful; that was actually designed for Condition 2 -- the rear sight was mounted about an inch or so forward and the slide was milled out to allow for a smooth, natural thumb-cocking. He carried that little beast Mexican-style. It was an awesome ride.

acfbd3d.jpg
    (photo purloined from the interwebs)

Later I experimented with H&K P7, Sig P220, S&W 39/59 series ... I had a DAO S&W 45 stainless (I forget the number ... there were so many back then) that had a butter smooth trigger. I'd have kept it, but it was ginormous, as the kids say today.

Then came the era of The Glock.

I've lately rediscovered the DA/SA gun. I have a Mk25 that's smooth and a couple of CZ75s, a pre-B and a B. The pre-B is as good as any DA/SA out there, but the mags are limited. I'm working on the 75B and think it will be as good eventually. Between the Mk25 and the CZs, the CZs win out for (me) ergonomics and pointability. But that's a training thing.

They're all good. Like our friend Musashi says, don't favor just one; learn them all.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-06-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

My Detonics was D7400. What a brick! I carried it cocked and locked.

Wonder if I'll see it in a gunshop sometime.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 15. And a wakeup.

After evolving from revolvers to semi-auto pistols for duty use, I carried a long line of DA/SA S&Ws; 645, 4506, 4516, 669, 6906 and 3913. Next came Glocks and it was the G21 and G19. Then, after a department change, it was Sig P226 and then back to Glocks in 9mm; G17/19/26. I was a big fan of the S&Ws, until magazine issues in the 4500 series necessitated a change, which resulted in the Glocks. The sigs were nice guns, but I had carried Glocks for a number of years before changing departments and had become spoiled with the Glock "safe-action" and preferred them to other options by that time. That all took place in the span of 37 years.