Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When the 5900 series was authorized for carry, I carried my 5943 (DAO Alloy frame) until my PD switched to the Glock in 2003. More than once, the hammer was held back and only a little more pressure would have released it. You cannot do that with a striker fired pistol. I still own that 5943 and carry it more than my non-steel pistols. When my grandson is ready, a 5906 is waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    With this caveat, for me at least. I no longer carry single action hammer guns for serious purposes.
    Okay. Why not?

I'll admit that when I started out back in the day we were issued Model 10 Smith & Wesson revolvers, DA/SA has never been an issue for me

By single action hammer guns I mean the 1911 or BHP (or SA revolvers for that matter). I want to draw and shoot without thumbing off a safety or rolling back a hammer. Add in a grip safety and, for me at least, the odds of getting off a clean shot drop exponentially. I carried a 1911 on duty for what, 5 or 6 years.

My first handgun was a 4" model 10 HB. If I still had it, I'd fit a bobbed DAO hammer.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

358. And a wakeup.

I carried a Beretta 92F/M9 and a traditional Sig 226 and a DAK Sig earlier in my career.

I have fairly big hands and long fingers and so the width of the grip and the length of the reach from the backstrap to the face of the trigger were not big issues for me. I could shoot those guns pretty well, especially the Beretta. (Shot one Beretta 92F and two Sig 226s to frame failure over the years)

I carry Glocks exclusively on duty and off now. In the winter I like to pull the other guns out of the safe, put about 200 rounds through them shooting a couple of different courses of fire on the indoor range, and then clean and lube them and put them away again.

Many people have struggled with the DA/SA guns because they had guns (with double column magazines) that were just too big for their hand.
    "We should always try to do the right thing and the moral thing and the legal thing, but first we should do the SMART thing."
    --John S. Farnam
    Defense Training International

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    Okay. Why not?

I'll admit that when I started out back in the day we were issued Model 10 Smith & Wesson revolvers, DA/SA has never been an issue for me
    Fair enough. Thanks.

I'm one of those dinosaurs that (still) carries a BHP AWIB.

I'm one of those dinosaurs that (still) carries a BHP AWIB.
    Someday, just for fun, a thumbprint burr hammer BHP shooter with checkered ivory grips.

358. And a wakeup.

I have personally seen as well as heard of too many instances of guys being unable to successfully disable the safety in force on force classes.

I love the 1911 and worked with it a lot at one time. Under speed/pressure I could disable the safety 99.5% of the time. But that .05% was just a little too much for me.

This isn't to say there aren't valid reasons to carry a pistol with a safety. I do as well given particular circumstances. It's just not my first choice these days.

Guns with safeties have their place and we just have to recognize the drawbacks and train accordingly.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

There are some who are of the opinion that carrying a 1911 or a BHP cocked with the safety off is equivalent to carrying a Glock.

Discuss.

SAS did it. Not a whole lot except length of travel separates a Glock from a heavy BHP trigger.

358. And a wakeup.

There are some who are of the opinion that carrying a 1911 or a BHP cocked with the safety off is equivalent to carrying a Glock.

Discuss.
    I don't have a whole lot of experience with the BHP. Those few I have handled feel great in the hand but also had terrible triggers. My dad has a very nice model...but such an awful trigger. I had Yondering remove the magazine safety, what an incredible difference it made. The trigger still has room for improvement but Dad didn't want anything else done to this gun and we both pronounced it good enough.

I know a lot of people believe in carrying the 1911 cocked and unlocked. I know the grip safety should be enough but I was never fully comfortable with it. Regardless, even if I had the safety off, my thumb would still go through the motions to sweep it off (because Murphy is always there to knock that safety back on), so I don't see so much advantage to leaving it off.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington