Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So what is the goal behind some of this? So far this thread seems like a dog trying to chase 14 different cars at once.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    So what is the goal behind some of this? So far this thread seems like a dog trying to chase 14 different cars at once.
    Second this.

- 6.5 Creed isn't a good choice for short barrels. Grendel or 300 BLK are much better.
    - 6.5 Creed is good for distance and lots of other things. So is .308. So is, to a lesser extent, Grendel. Pick the one that sings to you.

Anything else to be said?

ETA: If you want to be a short-barrel ninja, don't pick 6.5 Creed; choose something else, and it'll work better.

6.5 CM performs better all around, even at shorter barrel lengths, than .308. If you're looking to put holes in two legged game out to 800ish meters, a 6.5 will get you there faster than an equivalent 7.62x51. If you're just crunching the numbers, you want 24" or more barrel.

I've handled a 6.5 with a 14.5" barrel, and you can clear rooms with it. An offset RMR makes it a legit cqb gun. When you start to consider social work instead of raw numbers, you think about throwing on a suppressor, an LAM, god forbid CNVDs, and suddenly the package starts to make sense.

That's not chasing 4 dogs. That's one dog. A dominant, full size cartridge gas gun that goes out to 800m while retaining a weight / length / balance profile that keeps the weapon maneuverable enough for actual fighting.

I have no experience with 6.5G or 6.8SPC.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    6.5 CM performs better all around, even at shorter barrel lengths, than .308. If you're looking to put holes in two legged game out to 800ish meters, a 6.5 will get you there faster than an equivalent 7.62x51. If you're just crunching the numbers, you want 24" or more barrel.

I've handled a 6.5 with a 14.5" barrel, and you can clear rooms with it. An offset RMR makes it a legit cqb gun. When you start to consider social work instead of raw numbers, you think about throwing on a suppressor, an LAM, god forbid CNVDs, and suddenly the package starts to make sense.

That's not chasing 4 dogs. That's one dog. A dominant, full size cartridge gas gun that goes out to 800m while retaining a weight / length / balance profile that keeps the weapon maneuverable enough for actual fighting.

I have no experience with 6.5G or 6.8SPC.
    Sounds like it will work for you. The long range capability to 800 yards is not a need for me. Under the field conditions in my area it is only under the most unusual conditions that I can see out to 1/2 a mile and I do not have have the skill to reliably hit at such ranges. I have gotten an alexander arms upper in 6.5g for a lower with a LaRue trigger. Practice ammo is about the same price as excom bloc AK ammo. It certainly has the ability to hit at 500 yards that is a more realistic range for me and even past 200 yards will be unlikely. As long a we live in world with rule of law, extreme distance shots, even after a disaster are unlikely. Shooting out to 800 yards on the use of lethal force flow sheet diagram seems to be difficult to justify. One needs some very good optics for that kind of shooting.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Let me qualify this by saying I carry a 716 to work everyday. I purchased an M1A in 6.5cm with a 22 inch barrel. I have only fired 100 rounds from it, but I have been extremely impressed by the accuracy from this weapon. Impressed to the point I have already started thinking about an AR 10 in the same caliber with probably an 18 inch barrel to start carrying at work. The .308 has some advantages like ammo being easier to find and more variations in bullet types in factory ammo. I am personally very much sold on the capability of the 6.5 cm.