Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beoceorl View Post
    Assume that any electronic device that leaves your sight in the hands of the authorities will have some type of malware/spyware installed. Assume that any wifi that you connect will be monitoring all your traffic.
    Is there any software I can use? Tor?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Don't use Wi-Fi, don't even have it turned on and if possible only take a burner phone. Beware of skimmer devices on anything that takes a credit card.
    If the nature of your travel is sensitive beware of anything you do online now. You're not just protecting yourself but also all of your contacts.
    Is there a list of which countries are hardcore about data intrusion? What about connecting flights through terminals of different nationalities? I hear Germany is particularly hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Don't use Wi-Fi, don't even have it turned on and if possible only take a burner phone. Beware of skimmer devices on anything that takes a credit card.
    If the nature of your travel is sensitive beware of anything you do online now. You're not just protecting yourself but also all of your contacts.
    how about a laptop shield? Like this one?
    https://violentnomad.com/collections...-iphone-sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by Shogunater View Post
    Is there any software I can use? Tor?
    All I can suggest is to get a good malware/virus/firewall product. I use Bitdefender, but there are a lot of others. The main thing to remember is that if it goes out of your sight, it has to be suspect afterwards. Oh, and the contents may have been scanned as well. And the warning about wifi is by no means restricted to travel outside the US.

Is there a list of which countries are hardcore about data intrusion? What about connecting flights through terminals of different nationalities? I hear Germany is particularly hardcore.
    Add Israel to the list.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." Baader-Meinhof slogan

Great info all along, practiced all of this when I went to Scotland with great results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Beoceorl View Post
    All I can suggest is to get a good malware/virus/firewall product. I use Bitdefender, but there are a lot of others. The main thing to remember is that if it goes out of your sight, it has to be suspect afterwards. Oh, and the contents may have been scanned as well. And the warning about wifi is by no means restricted to travel outside the US.

Add Israel to the list.
    What if I have a Mac? Is the default encryption and firewall good enough?

My last trip was to a former Warsaw Pact country that plays both sides of the fence. Telecom there was likely compromised by four to five different countries and a few criminal operations. Only burner devices and RFID passport on my person at all times.

if you need to be emailing or interfacing with WiFi, just expect 100% compromise. As noted, I used a clean burner email for very selective communication. No way I will ever use any of those devices again CONUS.

For personal security I setup an email account and give several conus trusted friends access. I then email locations etc. if I get in a cab, a pic of the plate and driver goes to that address. You get the idea

Add a vpn to all your devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogunater View Post
    What if I have a Mac? Is the default encryption and firewall good enough?
    I don't have any experience with the Mac.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." Baader-Meinhof slogan

If you want to take a laptop, I'd buy a cheap one just for taking to sketchy places. You can offload it when you get back or give it as a gift. My wife has a Costco special she only uses when traveling in China.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!