Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Maintaining electronic OPSEC while traveling in Europe?

I might travel to Europe soon. Is there anything in particular I should aware of as far as protecting myself electronically, different from the states?

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

RFID blocking/ Faraday wallet for cards and passport. Understand some countries require surrendering passport to hotel (for background) play stupid but polite american and you can usually but not always keep it in your possession. Whenever possible if an authority figure has your "papers" you follow the papers ( not as bad as central/south america but still bears watching)

Everything held ON body usually at least one layer deep (you would be amazed at the skill pickpockets have there)

ONE card (low limit) and some cash where its a little more easy to get to.

Hopefully some others chime in, the last time I was in Europe I was still paying in Lira ;) , as I prefer to vacation on Islands now when oconus
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Assume that any electronic device that leaves your sight in the hands of the authorities will have some type of malware/spyware installed. Assume that any wifi that you connect will be monitoring all your traffic.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." – Baader-Meinhof slogan

Don't use Wi-Fi, don't even have it turned on and if possible only take a burner phone. Beware of skimmer devices on anything that takes a credit card.
    If the nature of your travel is sensitive beware of anything you do online now. You're not just protecting yourself but also all of your contacts.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Burner phones
    Burner cards
    Cash

Use that for most payments and comms

Passport kept close and get a color copy laminated of the first page and keep that close just in case you "lose" the original
    Valuables kept right next to the nutsack

Unless you are there doing nefarious stuff, officials will leave you alone.

I traveled and worked in approx 10 - 12 different European nations during 2002 and 2010. Its a great place to visit. Today I am with Coastalcop...when I vacation I want little clothing and warm beaches...maybe its my age. That said, Europe is a "must visit at some point" place for everyone...specially if you are into history. Today I would avoid countries that have welcomed the Islamic Invasion, and focus on places with a very small if any refugee community. For example, I have no interest at all in visiting England or France today...but I would visit Spain or Scotland again in an instant.

I would do some research and try to dress like the locals. Not hard since everyone has adopted Americanized wear. But I would avoid walking around in torn Levis, an American Flag shirt and a MAGA hat.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Definitely agree with burner phones and cards.

For traveling and securing important items, check out the 5.11 Holster shirt. It's a compression shirt with a sewn-in shoulder holster on both sides.

Works great for carrying phone, passport, and wallet since the pockets can hold a sub-compact auto. Easily concealed with a button up shirt or jacket.

Get a USB condom when connecting your phone to ports - they black the data flow and just let power in.

Pickpockets are a big deal in Europe. I carry everything within a money belt.

Little Lady had her purse lifted in Paris a couple of years ago. If you're carrying a bag/pack don't keep anything vital in it, buy a jock strap and keep your IDs and money/cards in the cup pocket (I like to use rechargeable gift cards when I travel, if it gets pulled at most I'm out a couple hundred), if you're asked for your passport by anyone other than immigration give them a photo copy, not the original.

One thing I do when I leave the US is I provide and itinerary, timeline, and E&E plan (even if cursory and basic) to someone I trust so if I'm out of pocket too long they can get the ball rolling to find me. For example, the last couple of times I went to Mexico I let SUA know my hotel, what I planned to do while gone and when, how I was getting back to the states if things went sideways (stealing a car/boat or whatever and path of entry back into the US), and absolute Drop Dead Date that I would be home in the event I had to E&E so flares didn't go up in official and/or unofficial channels too early when I was fine (generally 5-7 days after I was scheduled to be back).
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    RFID blocking/ Faraday wallet for cards and passport. Understand some countries require surrendering passport to hotel (for background) play stupid but polite american and you can usually but not always keep it in your possession. Whenever possible if an authority figure has your "papers" you follow the papers ( not as bad as central/south america but still bears watching)

Everything held ON body usually at least one layer deep (you would be amazed at the skill pickpockets have there)

ONE card (low limit) and some cash where its a little more easy to get to.

Hopefully some others chime in, the last time I was in Europe I was still paying in Lira ;) , as I prefer to vacation on Islands now when oconus
    Don't passports have RFID blockers? A friend of mine expiremented with his keycard inside his passport. The door couldn't read it.